Fitted DRO to Lathe, showed up movement
Hi Tom,

On my Colchester Master the Taper Turning Attachment is actually integral.

The cross feedscrew has an extension, that is captured by two back to back thrust bearings, in a circular block that sits in the trunnion atop the uppermost and moveable slide.

The other end of the cross feedscrew is splined into the captive cross-slide micrometer dial, allowing for the feedscrew including cross-slide secured by its nut, to move relative to any taper being turned, whilst maintaining whatever feed is applied at the dial end.

There is no need to disconnect the cross-slide from the taper attachment, there is a rod extension to the base taper slide, which is clamped to the bed at whatever position, that clamp is the control and the only item needed to be disconnected.

The movement I'm seeing in the cross-slide, is in its normal axis across the saddle whilst the micrometer dial is locked, and I'm applying pressure by hand to the top of the toolpost, I can push it forward by about a thou and pull it back by the same amount, giving 2 to 2.5 thou total movement.
Chris Wright

North Lincolnshire.UK

Colchester Master 6 1/2"(13"), Elliott Rapidmil, Clarkson MkI+
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fitted DRO to Lathe, showed up movement - by rotorhead - 02-28-2016, 06:39 PM