Parallels - what are the differences?
I also use the set of 1/8" thick parallels that my dad has more than any others.

In my toolbox is a "custom" set of 3 pairs of 1/4" thick x 10" long parallels that my dad had made in the toolroom where he once worked. Made more for a common "Bridgeport" vise with the 2" tall jaws, these are 1-5/8", 1-3/4" and 1-7/8" tall. From a retired Starrett guy I got another custom set of parallels, all Starrett No. 354's. Two pairs of 1/4" x 1", one pair of 3/8" x 3/4" and one pair of 1/2" x 1-1/4". The Starrett are accurate enough to use in grinding or inspection applications.

You can never have too many parallels. And it never fails that the one you need is the one you don't have so you end up with a Rube Goldberg solution. ;)

Oh yeah, I just remembered that no one seems to have mentioned the adjustable parallels. They are VERY useful for time when you need to put something in the vise that has an uneven bottom because you can make it the height you need as differential to the one used as base height.

They are also useful for measuring inside dimensions of wider grooves and recesses. Slide it open to fit the space, snug up the screw(s), pull it out and measure over it to get the dimension. I have two each of the Starrett No.154''s six available sizes (A, B, C, D. E & F), though I don't really know why I collected more than one each. ;)

[Image: IMG_0736-r.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Parallels - what are the differences? - by Mayhem - 04-22-2012, 03:29 AM
RE: Parallels - what are the differences? - by Bogstandard - 04-22-2012, 12:36 PM
RE: Parallels - what are the differences? - by PixMan - 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM