The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

machines and really ugly parts
Hello Folks,
   I am just a plain old hobbiest with too many hobbies and not much training, if any, in any of them, particularly machining.
    Shortly after getting my Atlas mill, lathe and shaper i noticed some of the parts were affected by the dreaded zinc pest.
I needed to make a couple pulleys and the feed change handle on the mill right away to keep it running. I could have bought the used parts on fleebay for a small fortune and these replacement parts might degrade as well.

When i bought my machines it was a package deal.I`d buy the 12 inch 101.07301 lathe, but i had to take the mill (atlas MFC) and the shaper (atlas 7 inch) and whatever tooling that went with them as well. Was i lucky or what ? It was a clean out of a friends dads basement after he died.
   The basement had flooded to 18 inches and she was gonna call the junkman to take all the metal.
    I told her i would buy whatever she had but she didn`t want my money. She finally agreed to let me give her some money, but nowhere near enough. There was stuff everywhere. Some was beyond salvage but most i could use, stock, tooling and whatever you think would be in a machinists basement shop. This isn`t a tool gloat, it`s just how i came to own an immediate collection.

The point of this is to show what i made. I know it`s all crude by any standards.
    I had already put together the Dave Gingery foundry, powered by an old natural gas conversion burner out of an originally oil fired furnace.
I made some rough patterns of the disintegrating pulleys and cast the blanks. It took me a three or 4 attempts to get decent parts. I then read up on turning pulleys and included angles and went very very slowly. This was the first time trying to make something other than swarf alone. I did make a big pile of that, but the pulleys turned out pretty good.

I also needed a new feed handle for the "change o matic" and locking pin and a new drawbar. I know the square on the drawbar is way longer than it needs to be, but that is what i ended up with, and it works. I am too new at this to go for pretty and at this point i go for function.There is also an out of focus single groove pulley i cast and turned as well.
I need to make more parts to replace more disintegrating parts.
I have no pictures of the work in progress as they along with all my foundry pics went with a failed hard drive.

So that`s my story.
                                        Jerome

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

proud member for at least a week !

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
machines and really ugly parts - by misterfxt - 07-09-2017, 01:12 PM
RE: machines and really ugly parts - by f350ca - 07-09-2017, 04:39 PM
RE: machines and really ugly parts - by Dr Stan - 07-09-2017, 11:47 PM
RE: machines and really ugly parts - by misterfxt - 07-10-2017, 02:27 PM
RE: machines and really ugly parts - by Mayhem - 07-10-2017, 05:10 AM
RE: machines and really ugly parts - by schor - 07-10-2017, 11:37 AM