Simple, Compact Rotary Broach
Ed: that’s right, the screws loosely hold the broach components together when not in use.  There are more “elegant” ways of doing this but the little set screws were simple.

Dr. Stan: I had to think about these devices for a while before I understood enough to design one.  Watching the broach operate is fascinating - if a very slow speed/feed is used, you can see the broach wobble, which is pretty neat.  If high speed/feed is used, you can't see the wobble and it looks like the tool is quickly PUSHING an irregular-shaped hole into the steel.

I'll repeat that the broaching process is almost shockingly fast - just a second or so was required to broach the steel workpiece shown.  This is a very odd looking process and not intuitive at all ! The guy who came up with this tool had a darned good brain !
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

forgot to mention something regarding the sketch. The long slot in the broach underneath the 1/4-28 set screw was not included in the one that I built, I just ground a small flat to prevent the set screw from burring the broach.

Because I reamed the hole and turned the broach to fit it precisely (it doesn't really need to fit tighter than .003-.005 or so) air pressure makes it difficult to install and remove the broach.  The longer slot allows fast air bleeds when the broach is installed or removed.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Simple, Compact Rotary Broach - by randyc - 08-07-2017, 10:45 PM
RE: Simple, Compact Rotary Broach - by f350ca - 08-08-2017, 07:43 AM
RE: Simple, Compact Rotary Broach - by Mayhem - 08-08-2017, 07:44 AM
RE: Simple, Compact Rotary Broach - by Dr Stan - 08-08-2017, 08:36 AM
RE: Simple, Compact Rotary Broach - by Ed ke6bnl - 08-08-2017, 10:42 AM
RE: Simple, Compact Rotary Broach - by Vinny - 08-08-2017, 04:04 PM
RE: Simple, Compact Rotary Broach - by randyc - 08-08-2017, 04:06 PM
RE: Simple, Compact Rotary Broach - by randyc - 10-14-2017, 08:33 PM