The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Looking Back
Today, I was in the basement looking for an box of horizontal mill cutters, when I saw the Atlas horizontal milling machine. I got it From my FIL, before he passed, around 8-10 years ago, I made a vertical head attachment for it, it worked great. 

At that time I was doing a lot of work, with Bakelite pieces, I used the head with 1/8" and 3/16" end mills. I made the head using a spindle of a Jet drill press, with a MT#2 taper, drilled out the spindle for the use of a 3/8"-16 draw bar. On the downside, there is no quill so all cut depths, were set with the knee.

Looking back on this, with the time passed, I was think of how I would have changed the design, what I would have done different. Thinking about how to add a quill, maybe go to a MT#3 taper. But as I use the mill about 3 times in the last 4-5 years, the new vertical attachment, is another project, to add to the retirement project list.

I guess hindsight, time and additional experiences and skills learned, will always, change the way you might do a project.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

jack
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Looking Back - by the penguin - 08-08-2017, 11:31 AM
RE: Looking Back - by Vinny - 08-08-2017, 04:09 PM
RE: Looking Back - by randyc - 08-08-2017, 06:33 PM
RE: Looking Back - by the penguin - 08-08-2017, 09:25 PM