Thoughts About Small Lathe Tool Holders, Part 1
Greg, I've seen photos and drawings of that style tool holder since I became interested in machine tools fifty years ago and I always thought that it was an extremely clever idea.  What's not to like about never having to grind the flanks of a 60 degree threading tool ?  I like Armstrong (and Williams) tool holders but I've often wondered if the stick-out of that threading tool holder would be a problem.

I've had a couple of experiences with "normal" threading tools that (while the threads were not that large and the tool was nice and sharp) caused some moaning and groaning from the lathe and from me, too !  Maybe if you have some dead time to try it out (which seems unlikely since you stay real busy) you could tell us how well it works.  My opinion about these old tool holders is pretty obvious, LOL, I think that there are still applications where they are a natural fit !

That Hardinge would be around $3100 USD and if it was within driving distance, so that I could see it run, I'd be  ALL -  OVER  -  IT.  It would not even cross my mind to negotiate the price if it was functional, I'd just be schemin' on how to get it home on my motorcyclce trailer pulled by the Honda Civic, ha-ha-ha :o)  

Seriously, to my mind that is a GREAT price for a running HLV-H and seriously I WOULD buy it, tooling or not if it was close enough to be transportable.  Heck many hobbyists spend 90% of our garage time making tooling that we will use rarely - and often only one time to see if it works.

See now you've made me feel even worse  Bash

cheers,
randyc

P.S.  FWIW, my 1945 Sheldon EXL-56B was at one time a Monarch.  The drawings and manufacturing rights were sold to Sheldon just prior to WW2.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Part 2 - by randyc - 08-19-2017, 04:36 PM
RE: Thoughts About Small Lathe Tool Holders, Part 1 - by randyc - 08-21-2017, 04:58 PM