Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519
Approximately 2 hours later I had the head on my workbench. I forgot to take picture of opening up the head but it is not as hard as I had heard it was.

Remove the 6 bolts from the top. Lay the head on its side. At this point the oil that should have drained out already will pour on to your bench. Quickly find some rags to mop it up Smile

Use a utility knife and a straight edge to score the joint all the way around. If you don't do this, you will get a more ragged break where the case separates.

I used a hardwood block and mallet to gently tap on the rear lip and a very narrow front lip where the front panel sits. Alternate from the back to the front and gradually the case will come apart. I did not use any prying tools between the case halves so that I would not mar the faces. My running gear came out with the top.

Here's the interior of my head. The brown stuff looks like rust but it is not rust. I'm not sure what it is but it looks and feels like a polishing compound which makes no sense. This contamination is reason enough to replace all bearings. There was a brown sludge in the bottom of my gearbox.

Tomorrow I'll continue with the tear down of the gearbox.
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519 - by henryarnold - 05-04-2012, 11:55 PM