HVAC stuff
(08-28-2017, 04:38 PM)EdK Wrote: Damn you Willie!  Bash

Ed

Just returning the favor Ed.... Tongue

When I first started using it I thought it had a problem with the NCV (non-contact voltage) function. Sitting at my computer desk, it would "alert" randomly indicating voltage being present at inanimate objects like my file cabinet, books on my desk, even empty cardboard boxes! 17428

I emailed the company about it and was later contacted by Jim Bergmann (Director of New Product Development) and we discussed my "problem". He assured me there was nothing wrong with the meter. He suggested that it was most likely caused by knob & tube wiring in my house which is an older home. He said separation of the phases will do that because of the distance between the wires. I don't know of any knob and tube wiring in my house. Only two original circuits remain in the house and those are run in BX cable. But I couldn't say for certain what might be hiding in these walls, so I didn't want to argue the point.

I started doing more extended testing trying to eliminate possible sources. I unplugged everything on my desk and nothing changed. I got down to the last item in the room which was the paper shredder that sits underneath my desk.
BINGO! Yikes

A valuable lesson learned that day that I have never experienced before. Stray EMF reflecting off of my metal file cabinet. (The shredder sits next to the cabinet) Slaphead

I also learned that RedFish has outstanding customer service and they make meters with incredible sensitivity.
Willie
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
HVAC stuff - by Highpower - 08-26-2017, 12:30 PM
RE: HVAC stuff - by TomG - 08-26-2017, 02:33 PM
RE: HVAC stuff - by Highpower - 08-26-2017, 03:14 PM
RE: HVAC stuff - by Vinny - 08-27-2017, 12:43 AM
RE: HVAC stuff - by Highpower - 08-27-2017, 11:22 AM
RE: HVAC stuff - by EdK - 08-28-2017, 04:38 PM
RE: HVAC stuff - by Highpower - 08-29-2017, 10:17 PM