The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Creative uses for bearings in the workshop
I've got access to a mixed bunch of NOS ball and roller bearings that are looking for a new home. Given the circumstances, it wouldn't be ethical for me to grab them for free and then sell them off so I'm looking for other interesting uses around the workshop other than the standard shaft type applications.
Sizes range from about 30mm outside to around 600mm !! There are multiples of some sizes, but others are just one per size.

One thought was to use some bare as high load wheels for casters or machine skates, but I'm not sure about their load capacity when not supported by a housing.
I don't fancy the idea of an outer race shattering, losing its elements and collapsing one corner of a machine....

Some ideas I've seen:
- large outer races being put flat on a milling table and used as a reference surface for tramming the head
- individual balls/rollers as pivot points for clamping rough stock in a vice
- pipe trolleys like THIS

What other useful things would do in your workshop if someone dropped off a bunch of mixed bearings for free??

Steve
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Creative uses for bearings in the workshop - by SteveG - 09-07-2017, 09:47 PM