Need Saw Advice
Thanks again, guys, I appreciate the advice, I wanted to update you on the current status.  Too often questions are asked, advice is suggested and it all disappears into a hole, ha-ha.  That always frustrates me because I'd like to know how everything turned out !

Just to put the job into perspective, I "posed" a couple of photos, one on a band saw, one on a table saw.  This isn't really the way that I normally perform these cuts (especially the band saw set up which is a bit more complex that what the photo suggests).  I've done both of these operations many times, however on no material more challenging than white oak.  Not to say that wood doesn't have these pinching (and burning) problems, ha-ha-ha.

The band saw method would be safe but risks the work and the blade.  The table saw technique scares me.

A possibility (if there was a simple means to prevent the Delrin closing on the blade) would be a radial arm saw, blade turned 90 degrees - parallel to the table - and ripping the workpiece.  This would have the advantage of very good support, the work laying flat on the table.  Bad news is the high speed of the saw.  Like many of you, I think slower is better - table saw also has this problem.

It seems that just about ALL methods of slicing generate heat and the possibility of distortion, closing the work on the blade.  This leads me full circle and back to the band saw.  It's safe and I can slow it down (4-speed sheave).  BUT, I've been thinking that, since my design is flexible at this stage, perhaps I can avoid re-sawing the chunk of plastic ...

This piece, by the way, is part of my diamond grinder project.  I have no schedule and have been putting in less than an hour a day for the last couple of days.  I will let ideas simmer for a while and see what comes of the process - my old brain doesn't perform with much efficiency these days but maybe some time will help.

Cheers  17428
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Need Saw Advice - by randyc - 11-08-2017, 07:21 PM
RE: Need Saw Advice - by Dr Stan - 11-08-2017, 07:44 PM
RE: Need Saw Advice - by Vinny - 11-08-2017, 09:28 PM
RE: Need Saw Advice - by f350ca - 11-08-2017, 09:58 PM
RE: Need Saw Advice - by randyc - 11-08-2017, 10:10 PM
RE: Need Saw Advice - by TomG - 11-09-2017, 05:04 PM
RE: Need Saw Advice - by randyc - 11-09-2017, 05:29 PM
RE: Need Saw Advice - by randyc - 11-11-2017, 11:21 PM
RE: Need Saw Advice - by Vinny - 11-12-2017, 07:31 PM