Shop Microscope
UPDATE: This is just an FYI for any other AmScope owners.

I got one of these scopes 2 years ago. Back then they had an adapter for the trinocular port that used a locking ring for adjusting the height of the (focus) tube when using a digital camera mounted to the third viewing port. This is what they showed as coming with the scope on their web site at that time.

What I received however was a "new" version of this camera adapter that consisted of a slot in the body of the adapter with a thumbscrew through it to lock it in place after adjusting the height of the tube. There are several problems with this. It is a PIA to adjust the focus this way to begin with, and after tightening the thumb screw it would cant the upper portion of the tube slightly and cause the left and right sides of the image to be out of focus slightly as well when the center of the image is IN focus. Also moving the scope around or accidentally snagging the USB cable caused the camera to spin around along with your image. The reducing lens merely slid down into the adapter tube with no way to lock them together. The other problem is the slot allows dust to get into tube and down into the internal lenses in the scope body. I immediately contacted AmScope and tried to get them to exchange the "new" model adapter for one of the "old" model adapters. They refused. I then asked to PURCHASE one of the old adapters and again they refused.

I just found out last week that they now have another new version of this adapter. This one uses a binocular type adjusting ring and has reduction lenses BUILT IN to it so you don't have to use a separate reducing lens mounted to your camera. It also locks the camera, adapter and scope head together securely. No more camera spin. And WAY easier to focus the camera too. The newest adapter (for 0.5X) is also very compact (approx 1.5" tall) compared to the 6" - 8" combination of the 2nd gen adapter and separate reducing lens. The previous set up had my camera sitting way up above the scope body just begging for something to hit it.

I just wanted to let anyone else who has had to put up with these issues, know that there is finally a better option out there if you are interested.

Willie
Thanks given by: EdK , arvidj

Messages In This Thread
Shop Microscope - by Highpower - 12-29-2017, 12:38 AM
RE: Shop Microscope - by EdK - 12-29-2017, 09:45 AM
RE: Shop Microscope - by TomG - 12-29-2017, 11:50 AM
RE: Shop Microscope - by Highpower - 12-29-2017, 01:22 PM
RE: Shop Microscope - by EdK - 12-29-2017, 01:45 PM
RE: Shop Microscope - by Highpower - 12-29-2017, 02:21 PM
RE: Shop Microscope - by Highpower - 12-15-2019, 01:19 AM