Fix a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519
(11-11-2012, 03:13 PM)petertha Wrote: Hi Henry. After you did your Z-axis DRO retrofit, do you still have the capability to set a depth stop using the stock configuration? I have an RF-45 with the same aluminum block pointer indicator mechanism. I think to set depth you turn the knurled knob, that threads the aluminum pointer block up/down the threaded rod & thus bottoms out on the head casting flange to act as a stop. Kind of cheesy but I guess it works.

I just finished a Z-axis DRO install on my mill. I think I placed my encoder mounting plates too close to the face panel because the block can rub on it a bit. The pointer block has relief notches that glide in the slot of the panel face, but the block itself is meant to stick out ~1/8" or so.

For now I just left my block in a high position so it doesn't interfere. But I think I would like to have a depth stop. Just wondering if you faced this issue & what you did about it.

The blocks that support my Z-Axis DRO stick out far enough to clear the depth stop pointer so yes I can still use the depth stop. The pointer is behind the DRO but I can still see the depth to which it points to. I usually zero the DRO and use it as my depth gauge although this doesn't provide a hard stop action.

Henry Arnold
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fix a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519 - by tlfamm - 11-07-2012, 05:22 PM
RE: Fix a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Grizzly G0519 - by henryarnold - 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM