Problem with lead screw/half nut/s
The "waves" in your finish are most likely caused by chatter (lack of rigidity) in your set up - not your lead screw. A loose gib, too much tool stick-out, DULL tools, tool center height, even how solid (or not) the base your lathe is sitting on is all it takes to set up a vibration in the machine that will give you all kinds of finishes - except the one you want. Feeds and speeds are a big part of that too. Remember as your work diameter changes (lathe) so does the feed rate.

Snug up all of your gibs, start with a good SHARP tool - on center - and keep everything short (up close and personal) and see if you note any improvement in your finish.   Smiley-gen163

The lead screw on my lathe moves just slightly as well when engaging the half-nuts. But there are no "adjustments" available on my lathe to change the alignment of the half-nuts. I don't believe it really matters because I don't believe there is a manual lathe out there that doesn't have some small variation in the lead screw contact.
Willie
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Problem with lead screw/half nut/s - by Highpower - 08-09-2019, 11:38 AM
RE: Problem with lead screw/half nut/s - by TomG - 08-09-2019, 02:13 PM
RE: Problem with lead screw/half nut/s - by EdK - 08-09-2019, 07:50 PM
RE: Problem with lead screw/half nut/s - by Vinny - 08-09-2019, 11:32 PM
RE: Problem with lead screw/half nut/s - by TomG - 08-10-2019, 08:03 PM