The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Different types of hammers?
Hey all, the blacksmithing sub-forum has been a bit quiet lately. I have been slowly preparing for my own blacksmithing adventures, and thought maybe I could get things going a bit. For my last few projects, I have been using an 8lb sledge hammer as a forging hammer - lol seriously, I’m a beefy guy, but this is hard on my elbows and doesn’t allow detail work! I don’t really have any other hammers lying around...

Do any of you have any experience with more size-appropriate hammerheads? I’m tempted to try a  rounding hammer. I have seen a number of youtubers use them and they seem super flexible when drawing out material. I’m also curious about the french and swedish style heads, but I’m honestly not convinced they are radically different, and I’m worried they might be weighted funny.

Or maybe I should  quit trying to be fancy and just use a cross peen like everyone else.

I honestly don't think the hammer matters THAT much, just about anything I choose will be a step up from what I'm currently using, but I would love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Different types of hammers? - by StoneToes - 01-27-2020, 08:22 AM
RE: Different types of hammers? - by Clifford B. - 01-27-2020, 12:46 PM
RE: Different types of hammers? - by Dr Stan - 01-27-2020, 12:52 PM
RE: Different types of hammers? - by StoneToes - 01-27-2020, 02:53 PM
RE: Different types of hammers? - by Clifford B. - 01-29-2020, 08:57 PM