Leatherman Tool Group
(12-18-2020, 09:23 AM)rleete Wrote: My brother sent me a link for a promotion on Amazon when they first introduced the skeletool.  I think I paid about $25 shipped; they are regularly 50 bucks and up these days.  It's a good, quality tool, but I'd never pay more than $40 for one of them.

I have to say I agree with you (now) Roger. I'm afraid I bought into the hype they put out on this model - Charge Plus TTI. UPS delivered it last night. They talk about the superior S30V steel they use for the main blade in this one and how much better it holds an edge. What they didn't talk about was how they send these out with a rough grind on the blade with burrs left on the cutting edge. It was never honed. Rings truth to the phrase "not the sharpest knife in the drawer". Or maybe that just applies to me since I'm the one that bought it.  Big Grin

The tool also sports a dual-sided file with a cross-cut on one side and a diamond plated surface on the other. Problem is the file is also bent, but they installed it anyway. The diamond side scrapes the inside of the liner of the handle when you open or close the file. Nothing like having a tool that want's to eat itself away when you need to use the file. The inner tools on one side deploy reasonably. The other side not so much. Very stiff and hard to move. Likewise the pliers suffer the the same problem as the Made in China tool it was intended to replace. Open the jaws half way and they get stuck. Only way to open them fully is to pry them apart with two hands.

I've seen YouTube videos of people reviewing the "Wingman" model showing how the pliers jaws easily spring fully open on their own. Guess I should have bought a $50 tool instead after all. Go figure. Another lesson learned.
Willie
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Leatherman Tool Group - by Highpower - 12-17-2020, 08:10 AM
RE: Leatherman Tool Group - by Vinny - 12-17-2020, 10:35 AM
RE: Leatherman Tool Group - by Highpower - 12-17-2020, 01:28 PM
RE: Leatherman Tool Group - by f350ca - 12-17-2020, 02:07 PM
RE: Leatherman Tool Group - by Pete O - 12-17-2020, 05:22 PM
RE: Leatherman Tool Group - by Highpower - 12-18-2020, 10:55 AM
RE: Leatherman Tool Group - by rleete - 12-18-2020, 09:23 AM
RE: Leatherman Tool Group - by Highpower - 12-19-2020, 09:49 AM
RE: Leatherman Tool Group - by rleete - 12-19-2020, 01:53 PM