Sand muller
I've managed a few more short sessions on the muller build since the last update. Firstly i converted the second stage of the drive to a chain and sprockets which solved the slipping belt problem; plenty of drive power now and no stalling of the mechanism. Rotation speed of the muller is 56 RPM.

The paddles have taken quite a bit of sorting out; my original outside paddle was way too flimsy (above quote notwithstanding) so I cobbled together a more sturdy arrangement with some 50x5mm flat bar welded onto a 20mm rod of forgotten origin. I initially attached it to the same radial member as the wheel is attached to and it all appeared to work well until I started to add some moisture to the dry sand that was being mixed...the paddle was too close to the wheel and it all just formed a bolus that went around and around without mixing. Tonight I made another mounting bracket for the outer paddle and finally it all works properly.

The steel pipe offcut that I used for the muller body turns out not to be quite round so the outer paddle doesn't seep the whole perimeter but I can live with that.

I did a trial run with a batch of sand and it seems that 3 buckets full is about the comfortable batch size. Did two batches in about 5 minutes each, mixed dry first and then slowly adding water to taste. Very happy with the result, a consistent blend through the batch. I can get two batches into this feed tub under the chute, this is a little under half my greensand supply.

Lots to do before I'll consider it finished but I'm now happy that 'eet weel mull'.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Sand muller - by Pete O - 06-12-2021, 05:27 AM
RE: Sand muller - by Highpower - 06-12-2021, 12:18 PM
RE: Sand muller - by Pete O - 06-12-2021, 06:54 PM
RE: Sand muller - by Highpower - 06-12-2021, 07:03 PM
RE: Sand muller - by Pete O - 07-25-2021, 09:03 AM
RE: Sand muller - by Pete O - 07-28-2021, 03:34 AM
RE: Sand muller - by Pete O - 08-17-2021, 06:52 AM