Lathe chuck advice
I have been told that the 5" won't clear the bed with larger pieces chucked as the jaws stick out too far. I've also found out (from cutting the 5C adapter plate) that you can't turn the outside surface without some strange setups of the tool post. So, I've decided against going to 5". The only things I would be turning that required a 5" would be large flywheels, and there are ways around that. I really wish I had a larger lathe, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

I discovered last night that I had already bought a 4" 4-jaw, complete with adapter plate. It was many years ago, sometime after I got the lathe. I had completely forgotten about it. It is still in the dragon fat grease! In the package were also 2 sets of mounting screws and nuts. All from LMS. The adapter plate is the same for all 4" chucks, so I'm all set there. I think I'll try one of the eBay 4" chucks, as they are significantly cheaper than LMS ($60 vs. $120) and appear to be the same thing.

Dr. Stan, I frequently buy from Shars. Lots of miscellaneous tooling over the years; I've probably spent more with them than anywhere else.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Lathe chuck advice - by rleete - 03-10-2023, 09:10 AM
RE: Lathe chuck advice - by Dr Stan - 03-11-2023, 11:29 PM
RE: Lathe chuck advice - by EdK - 03-12-2023, 11:57 AM
RE: Lathe chuck advice - by rleete - 03-12-2023, 01:16 PM
RE: Lathe chuck advice - by Vinny - 03-12-2023, 07:04 PM
RE: Lathe chuck advice - by EdK - 03-13-2023, 11:28 AM
RE: Lathe chuck advice - by rleete - 04-01-2023, 02:45 PM