The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

mill/drill woes
Guys, although I'm still "backed up" with projects I keep thinking of new ones.
I still have my first mill, a round column mill/drill. Since I got my Tree 2UVR it has been sitting "second fiddle" for that and another reason.
The head casting cracked a while ago where it is squeezed together by the locking bolts used to grip the column, I noticed in later years the mill/drills had changed the head casting and locking mechanism to eliminate the split in the casting, obviously a problematic design.
I had a proffesional welder, who said he could weld cast iron, weld it for me. Well, he may have been a proffesional welder but he didn't know more than I do about welding cast iron. It broke immediately after I cleaned up the welds and put it back on the column.
All this blather to say I'd like to convert the machine to a dovetail or such, square column mill, something like the RF45 style.
Does anyone have any suggestions of a source for such an animal?
or any ideas of fabbing something out of steel? Maybe even fabbing a horizontal type column that could accept a vertical head in the overarm mounts, like Ricks.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
mill/drill woes - by stevec - 07-28-2012, 07:01 AM
RE: mill/drill woes - by pineyfolks - 07-28-2012, 07:14 AM
RE: mill/drill woes - by f350ca - 07-28-2012, 08:47 AM
RE: mill/drill woes - by Sunset Machine - 07-28-2012, 09:11 AM
RE: mill/drill woes - by stevec - 07-28-2012, 09:14 AM
RE: mill/drill woes - by f350ca - 07-28-2012, 11:24 AM
RE: mill/drill woes - by stevec - 07-28-2012, 01:25 PM