Todays Project - What did you do today?
I believe that the oak is corrosive but while walking through the kitchen last night it occurred to me that all our knives are kept in an oak "block". No inserts, doesn't appear to be any sealer, but the knives haven't had a problem with rust. Same for all our tableware. Wife has an oak divider-thing in the drawer to hold the forks, spoons, etc. Still no rust problem.

[Image: 1429362-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg]

Any thoughts on this?

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Ron,
Your tableware is probably nickel coated/plated Smile or stainless.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Perhaps it's treated or maybe boiled? OR, are the knives all stainless? I don't know of too many newer knives that are carbon steel.
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2012, 11:11 AM)TOM REED Wrote: There are special solvents for joining plastics at least for some, a ;ight coat of solvent between pieces and they literally melt together, a call to your local plastics wholesaler will tell you compatible plastics and solvents for this.

I think Oak if corrosion is a problem could either be well sealed with a good oil or even a good coat of plastic paint. tom

that would work if I knew what the plastic was, one of the guys that I used to work with gave me a case of plastic tire treads that he had in his service truck when we got laid off that he had tried on a trash compactor that we sold to an outfit that was using it inside a building.

I know that 5 minute epoxy and PVC glue won't work, super glue might but acetone won't melt the stuff.

I guess I could just screw them to a piece of aluminum plate to hold the two pieces together then I can carve our a trough for the chuck to lay in.

What Screws Do You Use in Oak? Whatever I can get to screw into the stuff

I have a block that is similar to the one in the photo, its Birch or Maple

The insert idea is something that I may look into, be nice to have a say one inch annular cutter to cut out the slugs out of the flat bars of plastic
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I cleaned pine needles off the shop roof. Does that count? It was a heaping truckload..

Oh, Gerstner makes toolboxes from oak. Kits are $250, complete toolboxes for $1200.
http://www.gerstnerusa.com/DETAIL35.html
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2012, 09:51 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: I cleaned pine needles off the shop roof. Does that count? It was a heaping truckload..
Sunset,
Only if you can show us. RotflRotflRotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2012, 02:51 PM)DaveH Wrote: Ron,
Your tableware is probably nickel coated/plated Smile or stainless.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

True, the knives and tableware are stainless but the sharpening rod that sits in the block is some kind of carbon steel and still doesn't corrode.

I know the block is made of "oak" but I don't really know what kind of oak. Are all "oaks" equal as far as corrosive properties go?

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Maybe this should be what did you bust today. Was taping the ends of 1 inch rods for the shingle mill, using brass pads on the vice jaws. As I hit the bottom of the hole the rod slipped out and landed on the tap of coarse. Snapped off just below the face. Was wondering how to get it out when I remembered this nifty little tool. My uncle gave me a trove of machinist tooling a few years ago. Took me years to figure out what this was.

[Image: IMG_0156.jpg]

It has four fingers that slide in the slots and a collar to hold them into the slots at the end. You simply slide the fingers down the side of the tap as far as they'll go then push the collar down.

[Image: IMG_0155.jpg]

Back the tap out and there you go

[Image: IMG_0157.jpg]

You an just see the fingers in the flutes of the broken tap.

These ones were made by Walton no idea when Uncle Paul has been retired for years. I have one for 3/8 and 5/16, wish I had more.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
they still sell them along with replacement fingers they can break off while trying to remove a broken tap
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I have never seen one before now Greg, Chin
Do they have a special name, cause I gotta have me some of them!!Drool

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: