a chuck refit
Interesting John. Good job. By the way? what is silver steel? The price of regular steel around here seems to be worth the price of silver.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2012, 06:30 PM)stevec Wrote: Interesting John. Good job. By the way? what is silver steel? The price of regular steel around here seems to be worth the price of silver.

I believe silver steel is what we would call tool steel such as O-1, etc.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I thought silver steel was what you guys call drill rod but I may be wrong.

I used a similar method - drilled and tapped for some pins I made then brazed and filed to shape (back gear):

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Wow! kudos to you and Bob, that's "going the extra mile" on a repair!
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2012, 06:53 AM)Mayhem Wrote: I thought silver steel was what you guys call drill rod but I may be wrong.

Drill rod is tool steel. The "O" in O-1 means it's oil hardening, "A" is air hardening and "W" is water hardening tool steels. I'm sure the experts will correct me if I'm wrong here. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
What is D-2 tool steel then? Not trying to be a smart ass just wondering. I don't know a lot about metal grades but have seen lots of knives that were D2.
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
different alloy but still tool steel

Silver Steel I believe is a name that came from the UK here most call it drill rod which is what it is alloyed for, The Silver comes from it being nice and shiny, but I may be wrong
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Silver steel & drill rod are the same
Alloy steel with a ground finish that can be hardened & temperd
John
Thanks given by:
Just to say most 'Silver steel' in the UK is for water quenching. So it is the same/similar to W1 drill rod.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2012, 03:02 PM)doubleboost Wrote: Hi
Bob
Propper old school repair
I did a similar fix on the rack of my colchester lathe
Silver steel plugs hammerd in then filed to shape
[Image: RACK3.jpg]
[Image: RACK1.jpg]
[Image: RACK2.jpg]
I cant find any pictures of the finished job but it worked fine
John

It is all coming back to me now
The plugs were 5 mm cap heads screwed and thread locked in place cut off then filed to shape
John
Thanks given by: