Needed a chainsaw carb gasket now on Sunday afternoon.
So i fired up my lathe and chucked up a chunk of round scrap that i keep for small projects. It needed to have a 1 1/8" hole punched in the gasket. So i turned the chunk to 1 1/8" OD then turned the compound and cut from the center out making a nice sharp edge for the cutter. I left a small bump in the center of the punch to line up with the punch mark that i made with an ice pick down thru the diaphram cover. Just lined up the punch mark and slid everything in my shop press and punched it out. Perfect. 5 minute job....Bob

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2012, 02:36 PM)aametalmaster Wrote: So i fired up my lathe and chucked up a chunk of round scrap that i keep for small projects. It needed to have a 1 1/8" hole punched in the gasket. So i turned the chunk to 1 1/8" OD then turned the compound and cut from the center out making a nice sharp edge for the cutter. I left a small bump in the center of the punch to line up with the punch mark that i made with an ice pick down thru the diaphram cover. Just lined up the punch mark and slid everything in my shop press and punched it out. Perfect. 5 minute job....Bob

It makes you wonder how people manage with out a lathe
John
Thanks given by: aametalmaster
5 minute job? Chin I'm callin ya on that Bob.
It'd take me at least 5 min. to find an appropriate piece of scrap.
Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
I'm thinking a couple of hours start to finishChin, but the Cherrio's box he made it from is probably better material then the one he could of purchased for 30 cents.Smiley-signs107Smiley-signs107
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Nice tip on making a punch on the quick. 6799

Ed
(09-23-2012, 02:57 PM)dallen Wrote: I'm thinking a couple of hours start to finishChin,
And me, and that is just the thinking time Thumbsup Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
(09-23-2012, 02:53 PM)stevec Wrote: 5 minute job? Chin I'm callin ya on that Bob.
It'd take me at least 5 min. to find an appropriate piece of scrap.
Rotfl

I have about 1,000 pcs of small scrap like that just for small hurry up jobs. Boxes and boxes of them...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Nice work!

You make a gasket like that without a lathe by using a gasket hammer. I still have one of the tiny ball-pein gasket hammers, I think the head is about an inch long.

This pic is from the internet, but I have a hammer quite a bit smaller than this one.

[Image: bmwr512m.jpg]
Ken
An old tired/retired/wanna-be machinist. Cool
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2012, 07:34 PM)NevadaBlue Wrote: Nice work!

You make a gasket like that without a lathe by using a gasket hammer.

Still kickin it old school, eh Ken? Big Grin

I've done that plenty of times for pump housings, water necks, some manifolds, etc. I don't know that I would want to do it on a carburetor body though. Chin

I'm surprised that Bob didn't have 100 of those gaskets sitting on a shelf somewhere though. Blink
Willie
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2012, 08:50 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(09-23-2012, 07:34 PM)NevadaBlue Wrote: Nice work!

You make a gasket like that without a lathe by using a gasket hammer.

Still kickin it old school, eh Ken? Big Grin

I've done that plenty of times for pump housings, water necks, some manifolds, etc. I don't know that I would want to do it on a carburetor body though. Chin

I'm surprised that Bob didn't have 100 of those gaskets sitting on a shelf somewhere though. Blink

Aw Willie ya gotta live on the edge.SweatBig GrinI've made hundreds of carb gaskets with a hammer, motorcycles engine cases as well ya just gotta tap lite!!TongueSmiley-dancenana

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: