Micrometer types
Here we go with the new section!

To start things off, I'm going to post photos of most of my micrometers and point out what I use them for and why.

First micrometer I ever bought, new in 1977. Starrett No.230RL-1, 0-1", ratchet thimble, tenths reading, no carbide faces. I use this rarely nowadays, but it's best use is to measure sharp HSS and carbide end mills because the softer anvils rarely (have never) chip the sharp edges of the tool I'm measuring.
[Image: DSC_0110-r.jpg]

Mitutoyo #101-117, 0-1". Carbide faces, friction thimble, tenths reading, slender frame. I bought this on sale while working on smaller parts for a living. The 6mm spindle and anvil fit into places other mics won't, and because the anvil is just slightly wider than the frame, it can get closer to shoulders and other tight part features.
[Image: DSC_0111-r.jpg]

Starrett No.734XFL-1, 0-1". Carbide faces, friction thimble, .00005'/ .001mm readings. Electronic digital display with analog vernier scales. I bought this for it's finer resolution. I find it is better on a micrometer stand than in hand because of it's odd shape. The tool has needed repairs to the electonics twice. Not a recommended tool, sorry.
[Image: DSC_0112-r.jpg]

Mitutoyo #293-348, 0-1"/26mm. Carbide faces, friction thimble, .00005"/.001mm resolution, BIG digital display with analog vernier scales, stone reliable, long battery life. A "recommended buy." It feels better in hand than the Starrett, though the newest Starrett 795 is actually easier-handling than this one.
[Image: IMG_1531-r.jpg]

Mitutoyo #222-125, 0-1". No carbide tips, ratchet thimble, tenths reading. Mechanical digital display with ananlog vernier scales. The tips are 0.75mm (.029" wide), making them good for narrow grooves. Also good for measuring very short shoulders, etc. While some mechanical digital counters on micrometers have been troublesome, Mitutoyo are quite reliable as long as you don't overspeed them by rolling the thimble fast on one's arm.
[Image: DSC_0106-r.jpg]

Mitutoyo #114-135 108º v-anvil micrometer, 0.09-1". Carbide anvils, ratchet thimble, tenths reading. This is for meauring 5-flute tools and rounds when you want a more finite reading on out-of-round condition. I snagged this off eBay for about $40 + $5 shipping, couldn't say no. Hope to use it some day!
[Image: DSC_0108-r.jpg]

Mitutoyo #223-125 mechanical digital disk micrometer, 0-1". I bought this for $10, but it cost me $125 to have it reconditioned by Holts Precision. Ouch. I find these indespensible for certain measurements, such as distance between grooves and other times I need to get "in-between" things. Much more reliable readings than any caliper.
[Image: IMG_1446-r.jpg]

Mitutoyo #111-166 spline micrometer, 0-1". Carbide tips, .0001" vernier scale reading, ratchet thimble. I bought this having used them for years when I was working at screw machine shops. It was indispensible for parts made on sub-spindle equipped machines that had counterbores on both ends of a small part, with a tight tolerance on the distance between the counterbores. I actually bought it long after I moved to a different type of job, but do use it now & then. Nothing else will do when you need to get inside a small counterbore on a part less than 1" long!
[Image: DSC_0109-r.jpg]

Many more to come...when I have more time.
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2012, 08:18 PM)PixMan Wrote: While some mechanical digital counters on micrometers have been troublesome, Mitutoyo are quite reliable as long as you don't overspeed them by rolling the thimble fast on one's arm.
[Image: DSC_0106-r.jpg]

Many more to come...when I have more time.

interesting note as ive just acquired my first digital mechanical (tool period) a very nice starrett depth micrometer...it does seem like a delicate system.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Very good informative posts guys, keep them comming.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
I have a few unique ones as well.

This is the micrometer I bought when I went to college in 1972. It's a Swiss Etalon, tenth reading with carbide faces and has is rock solid frame. I still use it regularly. It's hard to see, but my name is hand engraved on the thimble. When I started college, my room mate knew of an old guy in Grand Rapids who did hand engraving and I took a bunch of stuff to him. He cut my full name in all of my mics, on the frame of my depth mic (hardened by the way) and even in each individual rod! He also did some lufkin indicators which looked cool because they were gray enamel on brass. I've always wanted to try my "hand" at engraving...

[Image: 013_1.JPG]

Here is a newer version of the same mic that I picked up on eBay. There are some really good buys on them there because most people have no idea how good they are.

[Image: 005.JPG]

This is Lufkin's version of the disc mic. It's not only very handy for measuring between slots, it also works well to measure soft materials like gasketing.

[Image: 007_1.JPG]

This little wonder is kind of the opposite of the disk mic. It measures the width of slots in a flat plate or inside a tube.

[Image: 009_1.JPG]

This is a Starrett Uni-Mic multi anvil micrometer. Instead of measuring the depth of a feature like a depth mic, it measures the height. It also measures the distance of a slot from an edge and with the round anvil, the distance of a hole or curved feature from an edge.

[Image: 010_1.JPG]

This is a Mitutoyo screw thread micrometer with replaceable anvils.

[Image: 011_1.JPG]

This is a Starrett depth mic with a thin non-rotating spindle. It's handy for measuring the depth of narrow slots or as a regular depth mic.

[Image: 012_1.JPG]

Here is a little mic that's super handy for getting into tight spaces.

[Image: 014_1.JPG]

Last but not least, this is a 6" set of NOS Lufkin micrometers that I've assembled over the years. All but two are the proper model. The green frames are slightly older.

[Image: 308.JPG]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Tom,

A couple of comments:

You're correct in that the Swiss-made Etalon micrometers are very accurate and have a good feel. Unfortunately, the name has been sold off or something because the later ones are made in China and they're junky.

The reason I specifically went with the Mitutoyo disk mic is because they have the largest diameter anvils (20mm), and are the thinnest of them at the edge of the disks at just .015" (0.4mm).

Your Starrett 220XFL-1 Mul-T Anvil micrometer can also be used as a "mini height gauge" by simply removing the anvil completely. My dad has one too, and I use it now & then as we share tools and his shop. He also has one of the little Lufkin 1/2" micrometers, somewhat rare.

The Mitutoyo interchangeable anvil thread micrometer is next on my list to get! I'm looking, and sooner or later I'll score a good deal on eBay or somewhere else. My preference would be to get a newer one with the .0001" vernier scale or a digital electronic one. Those cost over $1000 new (with anvils), so it could be a longshot for me to get one.

I have the same 2-1/2" base depth mic, a Starret No.449, plus it's "big brother" with a 4" base.

I'll be posting my larger micrometers when I get some better photos of them.
Thanks given by:
Ken,

That's a real shame about Etalon. I'll need to keep my eyes open for some more of the older models, just in case my original ever wears out. Happyno

Sans anvil is the way I use the Uni-Mic the most, probably even more than my depth mic.

I wouldn't hold out for a tenth reading Mitutoyo screw thread mic. As with most Mitutoyos, the frame is so springy, it would be tough to utilize that feature on threads. Or maybe I'm just spoiled by the Etalons. Big Grin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Ken,
Far too many, here is my address ........................... Rotfl
A very nice collection Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Tom,
"This little wonder" ......... very unique Thumbsup
A nice collectionThumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I'll have to pull out me meager collection and post some pictures.

Nice micrometers guys. Happyyes

Ed
Thanks given by:
A few more after visiting the shop:

Starrett No.T2XRL, 1-2". I bought this one new around 1980, closest match to my No.T230RL. It has the carbide faces, ratchet thimble, tenths reading vernier scale. Nice & compact for a 1-2" micrometer and feels good in hand. Like most Starrett micrometers, it's got their eccentric ring style locknut. I much prefer the lever style on Mitutoyo's, something Starrett started using with their newer electronic ones. It came without a case but did have the 1" disk-type standard.
[Image: IMG_1715-r.jpg]

Mitutoyo #293-331, 1-2". Carbide faces, ratchet thimble, .00005"/.001mm resolution. A good, easy-to-read digital electronic with analog scales. While I prefer the friction thimble versions, a $73 deal on eBay couldn't be passed up. No case or standard. I like the fact that it's an "Absolute" encoder, so I can switch to incremental mode to make comparative measurements and switch back to absolute at the touch of a button.
[Image: IMG_1714-r.jpg]

Mitutoyo #122-126 blade mic, 1-2". Like the 0-1", no carbide tips ut does read to .0001" via the vernier scale. It also has the ratchet thimble, but note that none of the blade mics have thimble locks. The plastic case is pretty beat up, and missing the foam that so often deteriorates in this micrometer's era of manufacture. another eBay buy, I seem to recall about $55 - $60.
[Image: IMG_1722-r.jpg]

Mitutoyo #122-127 blade mic, 2-3". All the same specs as above, though the case and it's contents in MUCH better shape for nearly the same price. And it came with the wrench and 2" standard as well.
[Image: IMG_1723-r.jpg]

Brown & Sharpe #53, 2-3". This one was bought off a coworker for $40, no case, wrench or standard. It reads tenths via vernier scale, has carbide faces, but plain thimble with no ratchet or friction device. Uses an eccentric ring locknut like so many Starrett mics do.
[Image: IMG_1716-r.jpg]

Brown & Sharpe #65, 3-4". I bought this and the next (5-6") at the old Norton Grinder factory on the day after the auction. The two micrometers were cherry-picked off a 1/2 gaylord (a box 4' x 4' x 2' tall) full of micrometers of all sizes that hadn't sold at auction. Both mics for $40. Like the smaller #53, it has carbide faces and tenths vernier scale, though a completely different frame that more resembles a Starrett No.436 with the eccentric locknut.
[Image: IMG_1717-r.jpg]

Starrett No.436L, 5-6". Bought together with the above B&S #65, this one is probably the most well-used in my collection even though I rarely use it. No carbide faces, plain thimble, though it does have the locking ring. No case, wrench or standard. Note teh old Norton logo stamp on the frame.
[Image: IMG_1719-r.jpg]

Starrett No.449, 0-3". Bought via a Craiglist ad from a retired Starret employee for $30. Non-rotating blades, 2-1/2" long base.
[Image: IMG_1720-r.jpg]

Starrett No.449, 0-6". Bought new around 1982 or 1983. All the rods for both No.449's can be interchanged now that I've calibrated all of them.
[Image: IMG_1720-r.jpg]

More when I have time to collect my dad's from all the places in the shop that he leaves them!

Ken
Thanks given by: