Big machine guard..
Many moons ago i was a sheet metal worker and made 100's of these over the years. Well today i was called to duty to make a few more right away. So anyway here are a few pics on how they are made. Layed out from a sheet of 14 ga black steel then the side is wrapped around the layout line and tacked. Then it is 100% welded inside and all of the excess trimmed off the outside. Then an identical sheet that has the same layout except reversed is layed on the top of the bench and the sheet with the side is tacked the same way to it. Then it has the big hole cut out with a nibbler so i can get my head inside and weld it 100%. Then it is trimmed on the outside also. Now some more layout work and a few more cut outs with the nibbler and wizz wheel on a grinder. Then the guard is split longways and angle tacked to bolt it back together. Some exp metal is added as well as some bolts and nuts and it is pretty much done adding some handles and a few mounting brackets...Bob

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Nice work Bob, and great pics. Are these guards for belts, gears or chains or?
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by: aametalmaster
(12-11-2012, 08:32 PM)sasquatch Wrote: Nice work Bob, and great pics. Are these guards for belts, gears or chains or?

Belt guards...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2012, 08:32 PM)sasquatch Wrote: Nice work Bob, and great pics.

Smiley-signs064 Smiley-signs107
Willie
Beautiful work!!!!
monkers, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Nov 2012.
Better made than ones that usually come with the machines. Thumbsup

Ed
Very nice work Bob. I'll be tackling some guards for the change gears and feed gears on my lathe into the future. Just out of curiosity, given that the guard is split in two, couldn't you skip cutting an access hole for the inside welding and finish it off once it has been split? With care I would have thought that distortion shouldn't be a problem - but I could be wrong (it has happened once before Big Grin).
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Bob,
That's a cracking piece of work Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
(12-12-2012, 08:54 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Very nice work Bob. I'll be tackling some guards for the change gears and feed gears on my lathe into the future. Just out of curiosity, given that the guard is split in two, couldn't you skip cutting an access hole for the inside welding and finish it off once it has been split? With care I would have thought that distortion shouldn't be a problem - but I could be wrong (it has happened once before Big Grin).

You prob could do it that way. This is just how our shop does them. I would do a few steps different but i have to go with the flow. I would have sheared it in half and tacked the two sheets together to save ripping them later. Plus you would use smaller pcs of metal..Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by: