razor
I posted a picture the other day in the What did you do today thread of some tiny brass washer. and was asked what they were for.

Well I'm a little further along with the project or I should say the start of a new hobby.

Here's the where I am at with this razor it looked like it had been thru a fire or something the handle was all melted (sorry haven't took a snap yet but will for reference).

dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Nice looking razor. Remember years ago in the barber shop watching the barber use them, then stropping the thing.
Do you collect them by chance? (Quite collectible.)
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
I have a few from years back when I started to collect them but stopped. Now I had that one which had trashed out scales and one that I gave over a hundred dollars for new that the scales messed up somehow from just laying on the shelf and I thought well I got all this stuff why not see if I could fix them after I watched a guy on U Tube use nothing but a coping saw and sand paper to make a handle for a razor he was restoring.

Thanks for the compliment, all I used was a coping saw to hack the material out with, da$n G10 plastic went thru 3 coping saw blades to cut like 10 inches, a couple files, and sandpaper, I did use the mill to drill the 1/16" rivet holes with but only in one side, pin vise was pretty slow, now if I had of had one of Bob's everlasting cordless drills i would of used that.

DA

Thanks given by:
here's some pictures of the razor handle/scales that I have been working on to replace the black one that is totally messed up.

[Image: scales001_zps64e1ee4c.jpg]

here's a picture of the washers, the one on the left is original, the one on the right is one of the first ones I made its way to big, the middle one is smaller but I'm thinking its still to big.

[Image: washer001_zpsd89d904c.jpg]

DA

Thanks given by:
here is a photo of he razor in a semi finished state, there are things that I'm not happy with like how the material bends but not a lot I can do about that besides hang some clothes pins on it and try with time and some warm, ok hot water to get the end to bend together and learn how to set the rivets properly to achieve proper tension on the blade.

I also need to get a cloth buff so I can bring up the shine in the scales which should make the texture between the glass fibers and resin pop.

the black scale in the bottom of the photo is what was on the blade to start with, the other side was broken at the hinge hole so it was hard to do any thing like hone or strop it without it wanting to flop around in your hand.

[Image: razor002_zps05235e8e.jpg]

DA

Thanks given by:
(12-23-2012, 08:01 PM)dallen Wrote: I posted a picture the other day in the What did you do today thread of some tiny brass washer. and was asked what they were for.

Well I'm a little further along with the project or I should say the start of a new hobby.

Here's the where I am at with this razor it looked like it had been thru a fire or something the handle was all melted (sorry haven't took a snap yet but will for reference).

HYi Dallen,
A bit late to comment but I've just ''enrolled!!'' a nice job of the handle there, I bought my ''cut throat'' over 40yrs ago it was £3 10 shillings & have never bought a razor blade since, I strop it before use but every 3 months or so you have to stone it on an arkansas stone then you just strop again till next time.[think I've got my moneysworth!!]
Graham.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by:
yes I would say you got your moneys worth, I enjoy shaving with mine. heres a photo of one that I just received in the mail today, as you can see the handles need some caring. someone used some pretty rough sand paper on them but I think they will come around ok.

Thanks given by:
Looks good dallen. Where did you find the red glass epoxy?

I've always wanted to try shaving with a blade but so far haven't been able to muster up the courage. I have been using a shaving mug for a number of years, but never took the next step. Maybe the time has come, I do have a few old straight razors kicking around.
Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Learn to sharpen it first the sharper it is the easier it shaves.

Thanks given by:
I pulled the razor apart that I posted a photo of yesterday and this is what I found besides there being cracks in the handle scales that I hope someone can tell me how to stabalize not real sure of a good way to do it, thinking putting it in some polyurethane and pulling a vacuum on them not sure it it would pull the stuff into the cracks or not.
some of the cracks

the other problem is this great big gapping hole that is suppose to have a pin in the size of the rod that is in the photo with the razor tail, my thoughts are to install the bushing I have made which is on the pin material. Question I have is do I solder it in or let it spin. problem with the hole is it isn't round looks like it was made with a square punch.

any suggestions.

Thanks given by: