Big Lathe Faceplate Project
Ok i got my lathe like in 2004 and like everyone else i has a big wishlist. Now i could have ordered everything online as i was rich then :) but why have a lathe if you are going to buy everything?. So i wanted a big faceplate so big it almost drags the ways LOL. With lots of holes drilled in it. I watched ebay and got 100 different ideas on how to make it. Then i ran into a guy at the mall one night and he worked in a foundry. I said make me a 10" casting 2" thick sometime. A few weeks went by and he called and said come get you plates. He made me 4 of them so now what to do i can't hold them in my 6" chuck and i didn't want to drill holes in them to use on my smaller home made plate. So i dreamed up a 5/8" arbor to chuck up between centers. So i drilled a 5/8" hole in the center of the plate in my drill press and put it on my new arbor. See the projects just keep coming :) Then i put the lathe in BG and proceded to round this thing out. It was like turning a big pumpkin. So i turned the face and the od as well as turned a spigot on it to grab with my chuck. Then i chucked it up and turned the backside and deceided to thread it for my lathe. Now the hardest part was turning it around both the chuck and the part to test fit it on my spindle while threading. A few more cuts and it was threaded. So then i screwed it on and trimmed down the face and the final od to suit. Then i spot drilled it with my cs hole driller, degree wheel and a center drill. Then i drilled 1/2 of the holes 3/8" in my drill press and left the rest of the spotted holes for future use if i need them. Enjoy...Bob

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   11 more spotting.jpg (Size: 19.07 KB / Downloads: 181)
.jpg   1large castings.jpg (Size: 13.52 KB / Downloads: 180)
.jpg   14sun baked paint.jpg (Size: 30.62 KB / Downloads: 179)
.jpg   10 spot drilling with cross slide hole driller.jpg (Size: 17.9 KB / Downloads: 181)
.jpg   12 degree wheel in back.jpg (Size: 16.75 KB / Downloads: 179)
.jpg   5ready to bore and tthread the back.jpg (Size: 22.17 KB / Downloads: 182)
.jpg   7threaded 1 1 2-8.jpg (Size: 14.95 KB / Downloads: 181)
.jpg   4turning nose to hold in chuck for threading.jpg (Size: 17.91 KB / Downloads: 181)
.jpg   8now threaded onto the spindle.jpg (Size: 22.05 KB / Downloads: 181)
.jpg   9turned to the right thickness.jpg (Size: 16.39 KB / Downloads: 179)
.jpg   3turning.jpg (Size: 23.41 KB / Downloads: 179)
.jpg   13 my drilling rig.jpg (Size: 33.67 KB / Downloads: 179)
.jpg   2mounted on arbor.jpg (Size: 27.18 KB / Downloads: 179)
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Check out the way i turned the OD with the boring bar...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
Heres another pic i found. Cutting the backside from the frontside. I don't do too much textbook machining i have to wing a lot of it...Bob

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
(03-26-2012, 05:33 PM)aametalmaster Wrote: Check out the way i turned the OD with the boring bar...Bob

Bob,

I've seen that technique used before. Sometimes it's the only way to turn the OD on something that is really too big for the lathe. Nice job. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hi Bob,

You sure make your lathe "sing" for it's supper.

That is an excellent job, really well done Smiley-signs107
Nicely shown.Smile

So you still have 3 pieces left DroolDroolDrool
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Nice work Bob.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hi
Bob
That was nicely done Smiley-signs107Smiley-signs107
I like your drilling set up ThumbsupThumbsup
John
Thanks given by:
(03-26-2012, 05:51 PM)aametalmaster Wrote: Heres another pic i found. Cutting the backside from the frontside. I don't do too much textbook machining i have to wing a lot of it...Bob

I saw this technique in Honolulu Hawaii once but the bar they were using to reach back towards the headstock with was about 3 inches square.

great looking face plate wish I could find a guy that would make those kind of casting in his spare time at work for freeThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
well dun
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I luv it. Someone else pushing the lathe to its outer limits. Well done Bob, well done.

"Billy G" Smiley-signs107
Thanks given by: