How to Wind a Coil Spring on the Metal Lathe
Here are a couple of programs for designing springs. I haven't run them yet so I'm not familiar with them.

http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/f...andrel.zip

"If you wind your own springs, you know that sizing the mandrel for winding is generally done by guesswork. Kozo Hiraoka, writing in HSM, has produced a formula for calculating the required mandrel size that should help to get you close. I coded his formula to make it easier to use."

http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/files/spring.zip

"My good friend, Gene Rutkowski, up in Seattle, wrote a spring design program while building his locomotive. I've converted it to C and am making it available here."

They could be good supplemental information to Tom's nice video.

Ed
Thanks given by:
One great video Tom Smiley-signs107 Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Thanks Dave.

No joy on the spring programs Ed. Neither one would run.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(06-25-2013, 06:45 PM)TomG Wrote: Thanks Dave.

Tom

Tom,

I was afraid of that. I've tried running some of the other programs in the past and have not had much luck. They were all written too long ago to work with the newer operating systems. If I had the source code I could rewrite them in a more recent version of a programming language.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-25-2013, 06:58 PM)EdK Wrote:
(06-25-2013, 06:45 PM)TomG Wrote: Thanks Dave.

Tom

Tom,

I was afraid of that. I've tried running some of the other programs in the past and have not had much luck. They were all written too long ago to work with the newer operating systems. If I had the source code I could rewrite them in a more recent version of a programming language.

Ed

I know it is a guy thing to not read the directions but ...

From the home page associated with the files we find ...

Quote:A collection of home shop, mathematical and miscellaneous utility freeware. Almost all the programs written by me are written in C and source code is included in the zip files - for submitted software, source code availability is at author's discretion. Programs run under DOS (I don't do windows) - although I expect most will run in a windows DOS window (recent feedback from a number of users confirms this assertion).

http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/
Thanks given by:
(06-24-2013, 12:02 PM)Highpower Wrote: Speaking of lead..... I have one of those little pocket sized plastic tubes filled with small diameter solder for electronics work. Makes handling and dispensing the solder very easy.
[Image: 370-052_s.jpg]

When I ran out of solder, instead of buying a new tube I decided to just wind a new coil from my large spool of flux core to replace it.
Here's a tip: Don't try to wind solder on a steel arbor. It doesn't want to come off afterwards, since it doesn't spring back and lead grabs steel pretty darn good. Slaphead

Next time I'll try nylon or acetal. Smiley-signs125

Thanks for the idea. I just got a 1/2 lb of .015 63\37 and was trying to come up with a manageable solution. Now I need to find the appropriate plastic tube.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
Arvid, make sure you look at Mike's post (#19) for a better way of winding the solder. You could probably use an old adjustable length container that end mills come in. Just poke a hole in the end. Smile

[Image: adjustable-lenth-boxes-250x250.jpg]

Using a square one would keep it from rolling away on you too! Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-25-2013, 08:52 PM)arvidj Wrote:
Quote:written in C and source code is included in the zip files

Arvid,

Most embarrassing! Blush

I may need to consult you if/when I attempt rewriting the program. It's been awhile since I've done any Windose programming.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-25-2013, 08:59 PM)arvidj Wrote: Thanks for the idea. I just got a 1/2 lb of .015 63\37 and was trying to come up with a manageable solution. Now I need to find the appropriate plastic tube.

Arvid

Arvid,

Use a piece of PVC pipe or conduit with end caps.

Ed
Thanks given by:
What is wrong with using solder straight off the roll?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: