Grizzly G9972Z gets delivered tomorrow
(12-11-2013, 04:22 PM)marfaguy Wrote:
(12-11-2013, 03:19 PM)EdK Wrote: If 220 volts is a problem, and even if it isn't, this Precision Matthews lathe has a bunch of nice features. A separate feed rod rather than using the half nuts for feeding is a nice feature. Variable speed on the fly and a tachometer are a couple more.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-1127-VF.html

Ed

Those are nice. I remember looking at those and now I can't remember why I chose the Grizzly over one of them. I do remember there was a reason, I just can't remember what it was.

It might have been the increase in cost or more likely he didn't have any in stock at the time. I can't see any reason why the Grizzly would be better as far as specs go. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2013, 04:37 PM)EdK Wrote:
(12-11-2013, 04:22 PM)marfaguy Wrote:
(12-11-2013, 03:19 PM)EdK Wrote: If 220 volts is a problem, and even if it isn't, this Precision Matthews lathe has a bunch of nice features. A separate feed rod rather than using the half nuts for feeding is a nice feature. Variable speed on the fly and a tachometer are a couple more.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-1127-VF.html

Ed

Those are nice. I remember looking at those and now I can't remember why I chose the Grizzly over one of them. I do remember there was a reason, I just can't remember what it was.

It might have been the increase in cost or more likely he didn't have any in stock at the time. I can't see any reason why the Grizzly would be better as far as specs go. Smiley-gen163

Ed

That was it I think. Lead time before they had any more in stock. The additional cost was a bit of a factor but not that much.
If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2013, 04:13 PM)marfaguy Wrote: I didn't express that very well. I should have said, getting additional an
additional 220V circuit run to the shop would have meant increasing the service to the house.
And I may be mis-quoting my electrician as to what the issue(s) were. I'm no expert on that.
In any case he advised me what setting up another 220V machine in the shop would cost as far
as Service, breaker panels, etc. It was beyond budget.
I gottcha Marf and I apologize for being such a nit picker. Blush
However, (here I go again) If you do have a 220v circuit in the shop, you could prolly have a second outlet on the circuit .
I mean if your present outlet is fed by as low as a 10amp breaker you can draw almost 10 amps. Full load draw (at stall load) of a 1/2 Hp. motor is 4.9 amps, 2 of them stalled (how likely is that?) is still only 9.8 amps.
Sorry, I'll go away now and try to be good.Blush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
After looking back through this thread I decided to do some informal testing. Using a fairly generous lead angle with my
1/2" square rougher bit I was able to do a .035" D.O.C ( so .070 total) comfortably. Even with a very modest to no lead angle
.020" was no problem. This was with 1" diameter CRS. So my earlier statements about how much this lathe will cut was being
overly cautious.
If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.
Thanks given by: