Whitworth Thread on a M24/47
After research I have determined that the correct receiver thread is a 55 degree whitworth. Several gun suppliers are selling thread chasers for mausers that are 60 12tpi. What are the thoughts, while wearing your machinist hats, about this procedure. I am concerned that the barrel and receiver will not mate properly.
tighten tournique, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
I have threaded quite a few Mausers/GEW's in the lathe and have only used a 55 degree ground tool bit. I have never used a 60 degree but i have seen and read about people who do. Myself i would rather do it right and make them match...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Presumably though it's not just the 5 degrees difference, it's also the rounded crests and troughs of the Whitworth form that you need to copy. After all Joseph Whitworth specified rounding to avoid the stress risers inherent in a Sellars thread form, and this is one application where that might be highly relevant.

Andrew
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
I know next to NOTHING about guns but I'm curious as to why Mauser, a Yugoslavian make, would have used a British (to my limited knowledge) Whitworth thread. Any info would be appreciated. 17428
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
At the time of the manufacture of these weapons I believe that the only standardized threads were Whitworth and were adopted all over Europe. Mausers were of German manufacture from 1890ish through the end of WWII and were the standard issue weapon of the Nazis. "Yugos" were manufactured from captured German tooling post WWII by USSR who produced millions of these both for export to other countries but kept in storage as the SKS and later the AK became the front line Eastern Bloc weapons.

Thats how I understand it....
tighten tournique, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by: stevec
AA I completely agree about doing it right by using the proper whitworth thread. I am waiting on a set of whitworth thread gauges so that I can properly chase the threads and square the face of the receiver and trim the barrel for a good fit. I cannot find anyone to date in the Mauser community who is sure of the tpi. Most tell me "....aw 12tpi works fine..." I may find that the Yugo folks may have buggered the threads or even mismatched as USSR has never been known for quality control
Thanks given by:
(12-27-2013, 05:45 PM)tighten tournique Wrote: I cannot find anyone to date in the Mauser community who is sure of the tpi. Most tell me "....aw 12tpi works fine...

Mausers are 12TPI i am sure as i have 3 receivers sitting in front of me. And Andrew is right about the rounded crests and roots as a HSS tool bit is an easy grind to match a stock barrel...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
Are you smithing them or are you the proud owner? I just bought my first and got into researching these threads hoping to blueprint the action and try to get it as accurate as I can. The research has been interesting to say the least. I am afraid this is going to turn out like collecting old cars.
Thanks given by:
(12-27-2013, 10:57 PM)tighten tournique Wrote: Are you smithing them or are you the proud owner? I am afraid this is going to turn out like collecting old cars.

I am just the owner that happen to have a machine shop and some knowledge how to use it that likes guns and old cars. I have a '64 Ford Fairlane that hasn't been out of the garage for 24 years 6 months and 4 days...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
(12-27-2013, 05:45 PM)tighten tournique Wrote: I cannot find anyone to date in the Mauser community who is sure of the tpi.

I have run across the same problem as well with finding the thread specifications for K98k Mauser cleaning rods. . Apparently they are all over the map and drawings don't seem to exist. Sad
Willie
Thanks given by: