How to Indicate A Vise in Just One pass
(09-15-2012, 12:28 PM)pamrick Wrote: That's a real neat trick (tip). When I first started watching I thought "Oh no! He's gonna bounce that poor indicator all over the place!" But, as usual, I was incorrect. My swivel base went when I traded my round column up for my Monster Mill (Induma), but if I ever get another swivel vice...

That vise is pretty massive and absorbs most of the energy from the hammer taps. It is possible to damage an indicator by tapping on it so you need to keep that in mind when using a hammer around one. Try to tap the part so it moves away from the indicator.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
That is just slick!!
That is going to save a lot of time for me.
Thanks for posting that video.
7mag, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
No problem 7mag. There's plenty more where that came from.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Nice tip.

I finally broke down on bought a Noga holder for the indicator. Oh my it makes like so much nicer. I went back and bought two more. :)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

roundrocktom, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
(03-13-2014, 01:19 PM)roundrocktom Wrote: Nice tip.

I finally broke down on bought a Noga holder for the indicator. Oh my it makes like so much nicer. I went back and bought two more. :)

Yup, you can't beat Noga holders. Top notch stuff.

Ed
Thanks given by:
They are good, but I prefer an Indicol holder for the knee mill. It can do everything a holder mounted to the head can do, plus swing the indicator to center a hole or tram the head.

Tom
Thanks given by:
(03-13-2014, 04:52 PM)TomG Wrote: They are good, but I prefer an Indicol holder for the knee mill. It can do everything a holder mounted to the head can do, plus swing the indicator to center a hole or tram the head.

Tom

I have one.... in the drawer someplace. Index Milling Machine, so the quill is something like 4" diameter. Keep meaning to make a new quill clamp. :)

EDIT: 3.125" Quill (need to remember that to make an Indicol)
Thanks given by:
(03-13-2014, 06:03 PM)roundrocktom Wrote:
(03-13-2014, 04:52 PM)TomG Wrote: They are good, but I prefer an Indicol holder for the knee mill. It can do everything a holder mounted to the head can do, plus swing the indicator to center a hole or tram the head.

Tom

I have one.... in the drawer someplace. Index Milling Machine, so the quill is something like 4" diameter. Keep meaning to make a new quill clamp. :)

Index, now there's a name from the past. One of the shops I worked at had an Index and the Indicol from the Bridgeports wouldn't fit. It also had an issue where it wouldn't hold end mills tightly in the R8 collets. They would creep out on heavy cuts and ruin your day. I believe the table had a few tracks in it as well. Hopefully yours has a more substantial drawbar.

Tom
Thanks given by:

Tom

I was watching some u-tube videos the other day and ran across an idea that I am considering doing as well. Noga sells their holders sans the magnetic base if you desire to have the arms only. Someone drilled and tapped their Indicol clamp to accept the short Noga arms, instead of using the traditional Indicol rods and clamps. That sounds like having the best of both worlds to me. Chin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(03-13-2014, 06:53 PM)TomG Wrote: Index, now there's a name from the past. One of the shops I worked at had an Index and the Indicol from the Bridgeports wouldn't fit. It also had an issue where it wouldn't hold end mills tightly in the R8 collets. They would creep out on heavy cuts and ruin your day. I believe the table had a few tracks in it as well. Hopefully yours has a more substantial drawbar.
Tom

It's a Index 555, built in 1966. It has a reground spindle, so R8.

I had some chatter with heavy cuts, once the quill was adjusted it is fine. No issue with pulling mills out of the collets. That would ruin my day!

Quill adjustment is a little unusual, as you have to loose on lock screw, adjust quill screw, then tighten lock screw. At least on the Y axis. On the X Axis it took a while to realize there is only one opening, but both a lock and tighten screw.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by: