Log Splitter
DaveH, that flange thickness of 1/4" (6.3mm) seems pretty stout for the height and width of your beam so it'll prolly be fine for the tonnage your planning.
Your drawing shows a pretty tight fit for the log length, I'd plan on a little more stroke length than the wood length for a bit of leeway.
I try to cut my junks to 16" but it varies, I probably don't need 24" stroke but that's what the 4" log splitter cylinder had.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve,
The log length as drawn is 330mm long, I cut my logs 280mm long, (max 300mm long) just enough room to trap ones hand Big Grin

It is just a sketch to give me a rough idea of the sizes involved and the length of the I beam.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Made some progress today, not building it just ordered some parts.

Cylinder 3"x14" ............................$120
Single stage pump 3cc (.2cu in)......$200
Control valve ..............................$170
Total..........................................$490

That's with 30% off everything, I still feel it is expensive Chin That's the main items except for the motor.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I claim that Nova Scotia is "The land of you can't get that here" but it appears that South Africa is "The land of you can get it here but, you'll pay through the nose for it here"
Sad
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(05-16-2014, 06:39 PM)stevec Wrote: I claim that Nova Scotia is "The land of you can't get that here" but it appears that South Africa is "The land of you can get it here but, you'll pay through the nose for it here"
Sad
Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl So true Steve
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Rotfl What time is it there Dave?
Thanks given by:
Hi Steve,
2:15 in the morning Smile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: stevec
Mmmm..................

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(05-20-2014, 04:32 PM)DaveH Wrote: Mmmm..................

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave,

Is that one for the wife. 17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-20-2014, 05:16 PM)EdK Wrote: Dave,
Is that one for the wife. 17428
Ed
Now I reckon I could "con" my wife into believing that it would be good for her Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: