Press brake for 20 ton hydraulic press
Another thing I want to make (besides 'the most expensive log splitter in the world') is a press brake for my 20 ton hydraulic press.

The black circle represent welds. Showing a 3mm thick piece of steel.
Initially I was going to make it like the top sketch, now I am wondering if I really need the centre angle iron and make it like the bottom sketch.

The angle iron will be about 1"x1/4" or likely 30mm x 6mm. Bending 1mm to maximum of 5mm thick steel but most will be 2 to 3mm thick. They don't do 30x6 anymore so it will either be 40x6 or 30x5.

I'm open to comments and suggestions (excepting Steve - he'll want me to make it out of 1" thick boiler plate Rotfl)
I'm just kidding Steve your comments are always welcome as are anyone's.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I need to build a similar press brake
Use the strongest material you have
You can not make it to strong Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana
John
Thanks given by: DaveH
Just looking around, I thought this was quite nice one.
http://www.swagoffroad.com/20-TON-Finger..._p_86.html
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(05-31-2014, 05:56 PM)DaveH Wrote: Just looking around, I thought this was quite nice one.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Those are very nice Dave and get good reviews. They are pricy though. That's almost double what I paid for my press. I need one.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hi Dave,
And every one else for that matter;)
I just made a light duty brake for my HF 20 ton press, it consist of a .25" thick steel base plate with a .5" x 1.5" rib welded on edge underneath for rigidity.
The base plate sits on the inside braces of the press table running side to side.
Then a piece of 2" x 4" fur with a v cut in it as a saddle for a piece of 1" x 1" x 1/8" aluminium for my bottom die.
The top die is a piece of 1"x 1" x 1/8" aluminium and a piece of 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" steel box tubing cradled in the angle for rigidity.
I'm using it to form .050 aluminium.
It's kinda crude but I get nice crisp corners.
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(05-31-2014, 05:56 PM)DaveH Wrote: Just looking around, I thought this was quite nice one.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Planning on doing a lot of box and pan work Dave? Why the finger brake? 17428

I was looking at this one quite awhile ago. I just looked it up again and I think I may have accidentally forwarded the link to my wife and daughter by mistake. I wonder if they will have a Fathers Day sale? Chin

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
Dave, I'd go for the first sketch you showed, if only to get the nice smooth surface the inverted angle would provide. With my bumpy welding I'd hesitate to bend anything to it. Of course you wouldn't get any sharper bends than the inside of the angle iron would permit but for sharper bends on thin metal you could apply to flats to the inside sides of the angle.

I was curious to know where SWAG off road was located, BEND Oregon, OR. 97702 is perfect. Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: DaveH
(05-31-2014, 11:03 PM)Highpower Wrote: ...

I was looking at this one quite awhile ago....

That's the one I was looking at Willie. It's only slightly more than the cost of my press. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-31-2014, 09:48 PM)ETC57 Wrote: Hi Dave,
And every one else for that matter;)
I just made a light duty brake for my HF 20 ton press, it consist of a .25" thick steel base plate with a .5" x 1.5" rib welded on edge underneath for rigidity.
The base plate sits on the inside braces of the press table running side to side.
Then a piece of 2" x 4" fur with a v cut in it as a saddle for a piece of 1" x 1" x 1/8" aluminium for my bottom die.
The top die is a piece of 1"x 1" x 1/8" aluminium and a piece of 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" steel box tubing cradled in the angle for rigidity.
I'm using it to form .050 aluminium.
It's kinda crude but I get nice crisp corners.

Now com'on Jerry - where's the photo's Smiley-dancenana
Nice to hear from you Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(05-31-2014, 11:03 PM)Highpower Wrote: Planning on doing a lot of box and pan work Dave? Why the finger brake? 17428
I don't know - probably not very much, I just thought it might be useful 17428
Does complicate things a little having the fingers.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: