Press brake for 20 ton hydraulic press
(06-14-2014, 09:47 AM)EdK Wrote:
(06-11-2014, 08:04 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Ed - do you mean that you call it something different in the US or that it isn't actually u-channel?

Here we would call that c-channel, as when used horizontally the cross-section looks like this: [ (essentially a C). Is it a cheaper alternative to I beam

Dave,

No, all I meant was that Swag Offroad didn't purchase C-channel to make the press brake. They bent it out of flat plate. Maybe just semantics and I'm probably wrong, as usual. Blush

Ed
Not me Ed, Darren Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
The more I look at this, the more I am beginning to think that two lengths of angle welded to a base plate should be perfectly good. Then I see the 'Swagoffroad' bender, with the angle welded to a 'U' channel and I wonder why go to all that trouble to make a 'U' channel. There must be a reason, anyone have any thoughts about it?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2014, 06:23 PM)DaveH Wrote: Hi Ed.
A pic is much better

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

You might look into I-Beam , thats what I did and it works great
so far and you can get any size you need

Edited by Mayhem to fix quote code
kenne, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2014.
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2014, 12:03 PM)DaveH Wrote: Not me Ed, Darren Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Oops, sorry. I fixed it.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2014, 12:41 PM)DaveH Wrote: The more I look at this, the more I am beginning to think that two lengths of angle welded to a base plate should be perfectly good. Then I see the 'Swagoffroad' bender, with the angle welded to a 'U' channel and I wonder why go to all that trouble to make a 'U' channel. There must be a reason, anyone have any thoughts about it?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Just a guess Dave, but think it probably has to do more with the attachments they have available for their press brakes. The stop bars for example bolt up to the vertical plate in the rear so they sit parallel to the press. It's a good place to attach the guide pins as well.

[Image: P1110158-1.JPG]

They would have to supply additional brackets to weld to the angle iron in order to do that. Also the bottom channel has fingers in the front that are bent to form stop plates that hold the brake centered in the press frame front to back. They probably figure it's just a cleaner look forming the channel like that as all one piece. Just a guess on my part though.

One thing I wondered about when I opened the box on my kit, is that my channel didn't have the "ears" sticking out in front to clamp it to the press frame and hold it centered. 17428

I also found a couple of extra slugs of steel in the box that I thought were just "drops" from them laser cutting the steel to make the channel. After doing some more head scratching I figured out that the slugs were meant to be welded to the ends of the channel to serve as the stop ears. Idea
There was no mention of this in the instructions provided because they were for a standard kit.

I went ahead and emailed Troy at SWAG just to be sure about that, and he confirmed that that was indeed the case. He also said that they HAD to do it that way in order to get the kit to fit into the USPS flat rate box. Leaving it in one piece made it too wide and they had to ship them UPS instead which greatly increased the shipping costs. Bleh

Willie
Thanks given by: DaveH
Willie,
I'm thinking you are probably correct what you are saying.
I can't see it being any "stronger" than if I were to use two adjacent lengths of angle on a base plate.
I still find it a little puzzling 17428
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I have to say the Swagoffroad design does look neater than the two lengths of angle on a base plate.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
The best way to get an answer to that is to go straight to the source Dave.
troy@swagoffroad.com

I have a question also. Using the two angles welded to a base plate, what do they do to get the proper radius in the bottom of the die after the angles are welded together? Chin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Doesn't the angle of the die have to be a little less than 90 deg to account for spring back?
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2014, 04:34 PM)Highpower Wrote: ...

I also found a couple of extra slugs of steel in the box that I thought were just "drops" from them laser cutting the steel to make the channel. After doing some more head scratching I figured out that the slugs were meant to be welded to the ends of the channel to serve as the stop ears. Idea
There was no mention of this in the instructions provided because they were for a standard kit.

I went ahead and emailed Troy at SWAG just to be sure about that, and he confirmed that that was indeed the case. He also said that they HAD to do it that way in order to get the kit to fit into the USPS flat rate box. Leaving it in one piece made it too wide and they had to ship them UPS instead which greatly increased the shipping costs. Bleh

Willie,

I didn't even see those slugs of steel hidden in the bag with the collar ring. Do you know where they're supposed to be welded onto? 17428

Ed
Thanks given by: