toggle clamp brakes
Guys I needed brakes on my 12" sanders stand so what i did is got rid of the front casters and cut the sanders frame back 4 1/2" to make room for a pair of new 6" wheels. The SIL and me added a small 1/4" plate to the bottom of the frame and 2" wide piece of 2 1/2" X 1/4 angle iron on top of the frame to mounnt the toggle clamps. The first picture looks like the angle iron isn't square but it's the camera.... honest. Rotfl

The wheels can't be turned with the clamps down, the brakes are working better than I hoped they would.

The clamps have a 3/4 " on/off throw with a 1 1/2" long x 1/4" diameter hex head bolt for adjustment. I took the longer bolt out and used a 3/4" long bolt and jamb nut. The clamps were $7 and change each.

I got to use my 18 volt Dewalt bandsaw to cut off the 1/2" axle bolts off, it's perfect for these kinds of jobs, because it's a lot lighter and easier for me to control and will cut 2 inch pipe just as fast as my Milwaukee porta band, I now go to it instead of the Milwaukee which is mounted in a stand now too... Funny thing is now that it's in a stand I use it all the time where before I hardly used it. I used it on this project to cut the toggle clamp's angle irons to the right height.

I am happy with the way it came out, I plan on doing the same thing to the Milwaukees stand.

Nice toggle clamps.
http://www.thetoggleclampstore.com/36202.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

tackit, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since May 2014.
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs107 and 6799 Tackit

I like how you have allot of mobile machinery in your shop .

Rob
Thanks given by:
(08-27-2014, 10:57 AM)RobWilson. Wrote: Smiley-signs107 and 6799 Tackit

I like how you have allot of mobile machinery in your shop .

Rob

Thanks Rob. I like being able to move equipment to where I'm working and then park it out of the way when I'm finished. I find I use my equipment more often when it's easily accessible, when it's parked behind things I tend to leave it where it's at and use a different machine that might not be as good a choice. Rotfl
Thanks given by:
(08-27-2014, 11:49 AM)tackit Wrote: when it's parked behind things I tend to leave it where it's at and use a different machine that might not be as good a choice. Rotfl

LOL ,,,,,,,, were not much different Slaphead

Rob
Thanks given by:
My old back and knees can't take lugging things around like they could when I was a young man. If a machine doesn't come with wheels when it hits the property it will get them. Rotfl
Thanks given by: