Homemade tools for the avil and vise
Check out the homemade adjustable sliding bending jig for a vise and the anvil hold down clamp, they look like they would be handy tools to keep in the shop.

I love to buy one of their Rhino anvils at some point, their cost isn't much more than some of the old beat up ones I see on eBay.

http://www.incandescent-iron.com/smithingtips.html
tackit, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since May 2014.
Thanks given by:
Thumbs Up 
6820 Cheers for posting that Tackit , very interesting site (book marked) .

A brand new anvil would be nice Drool

Rob
Thanks given by:
That Papa Rhino would be just the ticket for my shop as I've been wanting a full size anvil for years. Drool Now, how to try and explain that to the wife.... Sweat

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
(08-27-2014, 11:10 AM)RobWilson. Wrote: 6820 Cheers for posting that Tackit , very interesting site (book marked) .

A brand new anvil would be nice Drool

Rob

Glad you found it interesting Rob I hope others can get something out of it too.

I sure wish I could order a new Rhino anvil but wifey would have a heart attack. My anvil is a 6" X 12" long round I tack welded angle iron to to keep it from rolling off the welding table. I stand it on end when I center punch or straighten things.

When I look at used anvils offered on ebay I shake my head when I see what they are asking for wallowed out, chipped and rounded over edges anvils, I have been thinking about parting with a few tools I never use to get the money to buy one..

I have a contractor grade airless spraying machine I never have used, it came with $300 worth of accessories and I have never opened the box, it just sits there gathering dust since 2007. Bash .
Thanks given by:
(08-27-2014, 02:28 PM)ScrapMetal Wrote: That Papa Rhino would be just the ticket for my shop as I've been wanting a full size anvil for years. Drool Now, how to try and explain that to the wife.... Sweat

-Ron

I hear ya ScrapMetal, when I look at the pictures of those beautiful anvils It take awhile to get them off my mind.Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Bookmarked here as well. A lot of interesting projects and tips to file away for future reference.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Hi Tackit , thanks for posting some interesting stuff , I like the touchmarks gallery, I remember looking on Anvilfire years back at a thing showing how some were made by punching into blank then hardening it then using that to punch into another blank so you ended up with the bits you wanted raised then you hardened that as your punch. ..................... still not got around to having a go and forgot exactly how to do it now SlapheadChin .....that's life Rotfl One day it will happen.

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
(08-27-2014, 04:49 PM)Micktoon Wrote: Hi Tackit , thanks for posting some interesting stuff , I like the touchmarks gallery, I remember looking on Anvilfire years back at a thing showing how some were made by punching into blank then hardening it then using that to punch into another blank so you ended up with the bits you wanted raised then you hardened that as your punch. ..................... still not got around to having a go and forgot exactly how to do it now SlapheadChin .....that's life Rotfl One day it will happen.

Cheers Mick

I'm glad you guys find the link helpful and interesting, I like the website too, Smiley-eatdrink004

Micktoon it seems like everyone is a bit short on time and money enough to buy the more expensive tools, but like you say, one day it will happen. Smile
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the link, have it book marked as well. Hope to get the blacksmith shop up and going this fall. A friend of mine tracked down this Hay Budden anvil for me, thought the going price was a buck a pound so offered him $250, he was happy then I found out what they're going for. By the size of the hardy hole, 1 1/4 inch it may be in the 350 pound range.

[Image: IMG_0822.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg You Suck

Here the cheap Chinese ones that crack the first time you really hit them start of at about $500. I have a piece of I beam that I use.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: