Billy G's Die Filer
Ed,

When I was in the 4-year trade school program to learn machining, it was alternate weeks of academic and shop. During academic week, machinist trainees were required to have daily classes of mechanical drawing and related theory. In drawing we were taught to avoid putting dimensions within the object to keep it clear and easily understood.

With that in mind as a draw a part, I try to dimension things like those radii by having the leader line generate outward and place the actual dimension outside the object.

This isn't meant to say your doing anything wrong, just that I was taught to do it a different way.

Overall the prints look just fine and I wouldn't have any trouble making one. If I ever thought I could use one. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Ed;

Drawing #8 Crank pin off set dimension is left off. It is 1 inch for a 2 inch stroke.

"Billy G"
Thanks given by:
One more, hopefully the last. L&R Trunnion Rails. The slot was left off for the locking stud; It is .250 wide and .3125 on center from the open face. It also runs for 60 degrees. 10 degrees forward of the 0 pivot point to 50 degrees behind 0. If this is not a good explanation I will draw it in the morning for you.

Good night Mrs. Calabash where ever you are. Smiley-signs107

"Billy G"
Thanks given by:
Moving on --- Today we do the L&R Trunnion Rails (Print #13). They are mirror images so they will be made from the same 6" diameter by 1 inch piece of 6061. These will be hard anodized when completed. Anodizing will make the surface the Trunions slide on slicker.

"Billy G"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(03-09-2015, 08:48 PM)PixMan Wrote: Ed,

When I was in the 4-year trade school program to learn machining, it was alternate weeks of academic and shop. During academic week, machinist trainees were required to have daily classes of mechanical drawing and related theory. In drawing we were taught to avoid putting dimensions within the object to keep it clear and easily understood.

With that in mind as a draw a part, I try to dimension things like those radii by having the leader line generate outward and place the actual dimension outside the object.

This isn't meant to say your doing anything wrong, just that I was taught to do it a different way.

Overall the prints look just fine and I wouldn't have any trouble making one. If I ever thought I could use one. Big Grin

Ken,

That's my preferred way also. In this case I copied the print, mostly. Thanks for the feedback.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2015, 10:00 PM)Bill Gruby Wrote: Ed;

Drawing #8 Crank pin off set dimension is left off. It is 1 inch for a 2 inch stroke.

"Billy G"

I fixed it. There was no dimension on the print and I thought it was a hand crank so assumed the offset wasn't critical.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed - I do believe that post #71 was from Ken, not Bill.  Don't worry, I've had one of those days as well Confused
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2015, 06:05 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Ed - I do believe that post #71 was from Ken, not Bill.  Don't worry, I've had one of those days as well Confused

Oops! I shouldn't post before coffee. Thanks for catching that.

Ed
Thanks given by:
1 inch to go and skim cut the bottom to insure it's flat and .562 deep. The cutting diagram is there also.

"Billy G"

Thanks given by:
Ready for the Vertical Bandsaw. Inside radius is .002 over.

"Billy G"

Thanks given by: