Mechanical planer to hydraulic
I have an early 1900's Cincinnati planer in fairly good condition I'm thinking about converting to hydraulic operation.  It was originally built as a line shaft machine so I need some other way to run it.

One option is to use the existing drive system only to power it with an electric motor and a gear box.

Another is to build a hydraulic power pack to run the drive system.

A third option is to attach a very long (9ft stroke) hydraulic cylinder to reciprocate the table of course with the various accompanying controls.

I like the third option best as I could eliminate the gear & gear rack which drives the table.  I plan to use it as a big honkin surface grinder to resurface lathe beds, etc and eliminating the gear & rack should improve the surface finish.

So any ideas as to where I could find a 9ft stroke hydraulic cylinder without taking out a second mortgage?  I still need to calculate the forces needed, but just off the top of my head a 2" bore would probably be enough.  The table, if completely solid, would weigh in right at 2000 lbs, or 900 KG.  Since it has various slots, holes, etc cast into the table I'm making a SWAG that it's around 1500 lbs, or approx 700 KG, possibly even less.

I'd like to find some place that offers reman cylinders for sale.  An internet search turned up plenty of shops that will rebuild your own cylinder, but none offering reman cylinders for sale without a core.

So anyone have some ideas?

Thanks,

Stan
Thanks given by:
(03-18-2015, 05:09 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: So any ideas as to where I could find a 9ft stroke hydraulic cylinder without taking out a second mortgage?

Stan

Jawdrop
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs009  Jawdrop

Ed
Thanks given by:
Without the second mortgage, I'd see if I could find some rocking-horse droppings to make my own out of...

Option 1 sounds feasible, inexpensive, within most folks in here's capabilities - it's what I'd go with, can't see any advantage in the other options!

There's very little force required to counteract the wheel forces on a surface grinder (if you're using it right), most of the effort goes into moving the table, whcih is why they can have high-geared manual handles that move it through its range with a single turn or less
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
Why not try Adam Booth "Abom79"  on youtube. Making and repairing hydraulic cylinders is his day job. I haven't checked to see how far apart you are but probably thousands of miles ! but he might know of somewhere more local to you. 
He's a good guy and will help if he can.

Mike

Just checked and it's only 574 miles on the I-65 S only about 8hrs
tekfab, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2013.
Thanks given by:
You missed the 4th option. Install a line shaft and get some belts!
Thanks given by:
Im sure you already though† of it, but a single cylinder is going to give you different forward and retract speeds. Almost need to go with two cylinders acting with each other or a double rod cylinder to over come this.
Just throwing out ideas, could you use a chain or cable drive to compound the stroke of the cylinder or cylinders, like whats used in a car hoist. 4 foot stroke 8 foot raise.
A variable displacement pump would let you set your stroke speed.
If you go with the existing drive, I'd keep it mechanical, but I hate the sound of hydraulic pumps and motors.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Or. . . .  what about making your own Scotch Yoke mechanism, you can look it up yourself because i'm off to bed , Happy reading  Big Grin

Mike
tekfab, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2013.
Thanks given by:
(03-18-2015, 06:31 PM)Vinny Wrote: You missed the 4th option.  Install a line shaft and get some belts!

Yikes

Believe it or not I worked in an old shop in a FL boat yard that still used line shaft machines in 1977.
Thanks given by:
(03-18-2015, 07:19 PM)f350ca Wrote: Im sure you already though† of it, but a single cylinder is going to give you different forward and retract speeds. Almost need to go with two cylinders acting with each other or a double rod cylinder to over come this.
Just throwing out ideas, could you use a chain or cable drive to compound the stroke of the cylinder or cylinders, like whats used in a car hoist. 4 foot stroke 8 foot raise.
A variable displacement pump would let you set your stroke speed.
If you go with the existing drive, I'd keep it mechanical, but I hate the sound of hydraulic pumps and motors.

Yes the two sides of the piston have different areas due to the rod on one side therefore different speeds with the same flow rate & pressure.  Chin

Hum, probably end up going with the hydraulic power pack.  I have limited height (8' ceiling) and did not plan on a planner of this size when I designed & built my shop.  When it became available I just "had" to get it.  Besides my wife thought I was crazy, which is most likely true.  Cutting oil and iron have that effect on many of us. 

I've also thought of raising the ceiling & roof another 4'.  Gotten "the look" from my wife when I raise that idea.  (pun intended)

Maybe this is the solution.  5176

I could turn it into a planner mill by adding a BP style head, some feed screws, and a DRO. Wonder if I could achieve a high enough table speed to avoid burning the lathe beds. Sounds a bit scarey moving a ton of CI that fast with a screw drive.
Thanks given by: