Tailstock Tap Guide
Hi Guys
Again, let's just say and admit, this does not in any way compare with some of the beautiful projects posted here. However, like the Man said, we need only make a contribution to keep this place busy - which should suffice for now !!!

Here's another elementary project we followed from Home Shop Machinist magazine.  Just needed to convert the sizes and simplify the design to conform to our materials on hand. BTW, the tapered front pin is Silver Steel, guess U Guys call that Drill Rod, it's hardened, whilst the body is unhardened Tool Steel with a loaded spring to boot.

We badly needed one of these as the piss-willy bought ones, or even the Custom-made purchased one, was  way too small for our work and even machine.  This one should last a good while.

Thanks for eye balling.
aRM

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Hi aRM, that looks as good as anything I have seen , very nice job. How big is it ? Its hard to tell from the photos but you have mentioned the one you can buy are too small.

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
I think it looks great, I really like the interrupted knurl if that what you would call it.

George
Thanks given by: aRM
Smiley-signs107  very nicely machined. Nice and crisp knurling. I would give it shop space  Big Grin

Rob
Thanks given by:
Very nice work Thumbsup  Looks great.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Top workmanship aRM! Thumbsup

Ed
Very nice work there aRM. If you hadn't said that you made it I would have thought it was a commercially made item.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
(04-01-2015, 08:32 AM)Mayhem Wrote: ...  If you hadn't said that you made it I would have thought it was a commercially made item.

Why would you insult him like that. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
No insult intended Ed - quite the opposite.

Am I missing something?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(04-01-2015, 09:52 AM)Mayhem Wrote: No insult intended Ed - quite the opposite.

Am I missing something?

Yes, comparing his handmade tool to a commercially made tool. A commercially made tool would likely not be nearly as nice. I feared my subtle humor would be misinterpreted.

Sorry about that. Sad

Ed
Thanks given by: