RF-45 Downfeed Lock Knob
(06-03-2012, 07:33 AM)stevec Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 09:26 PM)Highpower Wrote: Henry,

7/8" radius? On a 3" diameter knob? 17428

Maybe just my eyes playing tricks on me, but they don't look to be that big to me.

Smiley-signs137
A 3" diameter knob has a circumference of almost 10" and those 7/8"
radius sectors (not full diameter) are probably around 3/4" across so I'd say, Ya your eyes must be playing tricks on you.
(or mine areChin)
Or maybe Henry meant 7/8" Diameter?
Oh, never mindBlush

The knob has a circumference of about 9.4" ( 2 x 1.5" x 3.14). If you divide this by 12 (6 for peaks, 6 for valleys) you get 0.78". Although the boring bar radius is large, it only cuts 0.165" into the rim at 6 locations. This operation uses an interrupted cut so you must take it slow and use a nice sharp bit. I used a carbide boring bar which I had touched up with a diamond wheel.

If you have never used a boring head, I suggest you get one. They are very useful for many operations. The Chinese spin-offs are not very expensive.
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2012, 10:03 AM)henryarnold Wrote: If you have never used a boring bar, I suggest you get one. They are very useful for many operations. The Chinese spin-offs are not very expensive.

Henry,

Might you have meant a "boring head"? Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
I've done the same thing to make quill locking pins for my mill. The cutouts almost appear to be straight cut rather than an arc. But I was cutting a larger radius.....

[Image: P8040085.jpg]

Math isn't my strong point Blush so don't confuse me with facts Henry. Rotfl

I just thought your cutouts would have had a wider arc than they do at that size radius. Which just goes to prove - "Be cool, stay in school!" Cool

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2012, 10:11 AM)EdAK Wrote:
(06-03-2012, 10:03 AM)henryarnold Wrote: If you have never used a boring bar, I suggest you get one. They are very useful for many operations. The Chinese spin-offs are not very expensive.

Henry,

Ed

Yes, I fixed the post. The bits I used look like this:

And the boring head:

.jpg   Image2.jpg (Size: 12.17 KB / Downloads: 120)
Thanks given by:
Better photo showing cutouts

Thanks given by:
Henry,

That knob looks perfect to me. Good gripping surfaces.

Ed
Thanks given by:

Henry,

Ed

Wait, I went back and re read "boring head" so I thought WTF?
Then I read further and realized Henry edited his post.
That shouldn't be allowed, it makes the guy who catches the error look like an idiot (sorry Ed).
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2012, 07:50 PM)stevec Wrote:

Henry,

Ed

Wait, I went back and re read "boring head" so I thought WTF?
Then I read further and realized Henry edited his post.
That shouldn't be allowed, it makes the guy who catches the error look like an idiot (sorry Ed).

I aknowledged in my reply to Ed which I quoted that I fixed the post.
Thanks given by:
Editing should be allowed.

What I normally see on other sites is that if you edit a post before anyone has posted a reply, you can edit and nothing appears in the post to indicate it was edited. However, if you edit after a reply has been posted, the software places a footer that indicates the post has been edited, the person editing the post and a date/time stamp.

Some have a field when you edit where you can enter a reason for editing. A lot of people will place a note themselves when editing a post to let others know they edited it.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2012, 01:39 PM)EdAK Wrote: Henry,

That knob looks perfect to me. Good gripping surfaces.

Ed

Indeed. You can't argue with success! Smiley-signs107
Willie
Thanks given by: