Winchester!
I've been looking for something to replace my hunting shotgun for home defense and stumbled across this little gem online. It's a Winchester 1300 Defender 12 gauge pump that sports a capacity of 7+1, an 18" barrel and a lightweight aluminum receiver. I'm not a big fan of the birch stock, so I found a NOS walnut buttstock replacement on eBay and a walnut forend from Numrich. I also have a 300 lumen tactical light on order that mounts to a Picatinny rail attached to the magazine tube (for identifying things that go bump in the night), along with a side saddle to hold an extra half dozen shells. I didn't order the rail because nothing I found looked like it would fit a shotgun very well, so I'll probably just make one to suit. I've never handled a shotgun this short and was amazed at the difference ten inches less barrel makes when carrying it around the house. Fourteen shells instead of six isn't bad either.

Tom

[Image: DSC04007.jpg]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
That looks very nice Tom Thumbsup 
There are time when I could do with one of them Big Grin 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
 a child of the 60's and 50's and a bit of the 40's Smile
Thanks given by:
Nice choice Tom. Mine is a Mossy w/synthetic furniture. Light as a feather - until you fill the magazine and side saddle... Big Grin
I keep "optional" loads in the saddle.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Quite similar to the "passage way clearers" we had in the Navy. If I remember correctly they were 8 shot 12 ga Remington pumps with no choke. Other arms for repelling boarders were the M14, 1911 Colt, and 2 1/2" fire hoses necked down to 1/2". You can imagine how effective that is when sea water from a 12" fire main @ 125 psi is run though a 1/2" orifice.

Personally I wore the 45 cal Colt on many many watches and trained on it out to sea. Every now & then one as issued a 45 that was in good condition, however most were worn out.

The shotgun is a much better security weapon than what most people choose.

Good choice on your part and very nice looking.
Thanks given by:
We have strategically placed .45's as backup, both 1911's and Glock's, but nothing beats the shotgun as a primary defensive weapon. I hadn't thought of the fire hose idea though. Chin

Tom
Thanks given by:
Guys,

This is not meant as criticism! I really want to know.

Why the home armory? What is it that you're concerned about? Random home invasion/robbery? Targeted assault by someone who doesn't like you? Government black helicopters?
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
Being on the outskirts of a major city such as Detroit and with the lousy economy, home invasions are fairly prevalent. I hope that it never happens to me, but if it does, I prefer to be prepared. We have excellent law enforcement around here, but at best their response time is four to five minutes and most armed conflicts are over in seconds. It's always better to be prepared and not need it than to need it and not be prepared.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Respectfully, maybe the cold up here isn't that bad after all. I don't even know where the keys are for the house doors.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Tom,

That's a sweet stubbed 12 Gauge pump, i didn't know they made that.. excellent choice for the purpose, please show how it turns out with the new trim. Your philosophy on home defense is in my opinion 100% correct. 

Being from Maryland my shotgun home defense happens to be a Ithaca under and over with fully chrome lined barrels, elegantly engraved and checkered duck gun, a sweet piece made in 1962 in Japan..... i figured if any nit-wit bursts through my door they will go back out swiftly in style by a metal work of art, the Load is 8- 00 Buck Trust me i don't throw that load down them barrels shooting duck that just the load of choice for home defense.

Back up is a SW 357 magnum and an original Colt AR15 H-Bar match.

Anthony..

PS Happy new year to all...
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
It's the same in the U.P over here Greg. The only time we lock the doors up there is when we go home for an extended period of time.

Tom
Thanks given by: