Winchester!
I live in Oakland, (yeah, *that* Oakland) and my wife, whom I love dearly, is a damn tree-hugger hippie CA girl. She put her foot down on guns in the house. I can keep them under lock and key in my workshop, which is good, but useless for home defense.

So I have bear spray and machettes in the living quarters. Nothing says GTFO quite the sound of a pump shotgun racking a shell into the chamber, but a 6'3" dood with a shaving-sharp 2' blade is a close second.

Nice purchase, Tom. Maybe not much for skeet, but good around the house. Your police response time is pretty darn good -- in Oakland, it's multiple hours.
Thanks given by:
Is it really that bad in the US that you need to have guns to protect yourselves and your property?
rogerp, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jul 2014.
Thanks given by:
Ever since that little scuffle over July 4th 1776, yes.

Sign0006
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2016, 06:09 AM)rogerp Wrote: Is it really that bad in the US that you need to have guns to protect yourselves and your property?

I cannot speak for the US but here in South Africa I can.

4 guys break in to my house all carrying pick axe handles, should I just sit there and hope they won't hurt me and my wife and let them just take what I have had to work for. I think not, which is why I have a gun (or two).

Think about it - who really cares if I shoot and kill two guys who broke into my home. C'on tell me who cares.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
 a child of the 60's and 50's and a bit of the 40's Smile
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2016, 06:43 AM)Highpower Wrote: Ever since that little scuffle over July 4th 1776, yes.

Sign0006

What was that about then Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
 a child of the 60's and 50's and a bit of the 40's Smile
Thanks given by:
(12-31-2015, 04:33 PM)wawoodman Wrote: Guys,

This is not meant as criticism! I really want to know.

Why the home armory? What is it that you're concerned about? Random home invasion/robbery? Targeted assault by someone who doesn't like you? Government black helicopters?

How does one get singled out as the victim of a crime? Police don't know, I certainly don't and I doubt that the perps have employed much logic or reason in the selection of most of their targets. They are often crimes of the moment. You can either meet the application of force with a greater force or succumb to the perps.

I read this quote which handily sums up the situation...

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.”

Other useful quips with a ring of reality...

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience....well that comes from poor judgement.

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Draw quickly.  Shoot carefully.  No one has been killed by a loud noise.

At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable as spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of snivelling brats. P. J. O'Rourke

Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.

When it comes down to protection, you are the only one who is responsible for you and your family, the rest of us are observers and recorders of history at best. Many of us mind our own business and are not keen on preventing crimes perpetrated upon the general population which would put our family at risk. The police don't often stop crimes, but they can solve them. Fat lot of good that does you...

paul

No trees were killed in the generation of this message,
but a tremendous number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Thanks given by:
Gee Tom - I was only joking when I said that I may swipe your keys and take the Chevelle out for a run...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren's back!

We thought you got caught up in the bush fires. Yikes

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Nope just caught up in work...

Those fires were on the other side of the country but we are on alert (as always) with the hot, dry summers we have over here. Especially on the back of a dry winter. Thanks for the concern though.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
@ Paul -- not to perpetuate what is probably a veering into a political topic (since this is a metalworking forum), I consider myself a liberal in good standing, and I am a responsible a gun owner. They're fabulous pieces of engineering and interesting machines. Let's not allow the brush you're painting liberals with to be too broad.
Thanks given by: