Looking For Ideas
This fall I intend on tearing up my 50 or so yr old blacktop driveway and replacing it with concrete.  It's only about 2"/50mm thick and is fairly easy to break up with a pick then shovel it into my trailer.

I would however like to build something that would attach to my 24hp Cub garden tractor to break up the asphalt.  Like this one:

[Image: 13WQA1CQ010_product_listing_small.png]
I have installed a shop built trailer hitch so either a front mount or rear mount is possible.  Kinda thinking in terms of a single plow to just rip up the old driveway.  I'm in process of building a snow plow that could be used to push the debris together.

I'm also toying with the idea of renting a mini trac-hoe for the job. Well just called the equipment rental place and a mini trac-hoe is just shy of $300/day so that idea is dead.

Opinions/ideas please.
Thanks given by:
This is for a 3-point hitch but I'm thinking it could be modified/stablized in a smaller version for your riding tractor.  Hope this spurs some ideas.  FYI this one is available from Northern Tool (among others I'm sure).

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p...gQodV4UEvg

JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
Do you have to tear it out? If it's solid enough it could just be poured over.
Thanks given by:
The mini hoe might be a deal Stan. Doubt if your tractor would have the power to pull a ripper through the asphalt.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I think the only way a ripper would work on a garden tractor would be to make it pivot, so it would lever the asphalt up as you pulled, one chip at a time.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I'd be worried that you would damage the frame and driveline of your lawn tractor, they are really not designed to pull implements. Might be cheaper in the long run to hire a mini excavator.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
(06-24-2016, 03:48 PM)Jim1611 Wrote: Do you have to tear it out? If it's solid enough it could just be poured over.

Its falling apart, so it would not be an adequate base.  I'm leaning toward just using a pick & shovel or finding someone who has a small tractor with a trenching bucket.  Had a guy dig the footers for my garage addition for way less than $300 and this would only be a couple of hours job.  I'm going to pour 4 yards at a time which is a good amount for 2 or 3 guys to handle.  It's also the smallest load concrete suppliers around here will deliver W/O a delivery fee.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Thanks given by:
(06-24-2016, 04:46 PM)f350ca Wrote: The mini hoe might be a deal Stan. Doubt if your tractor would have the power to pull a ripper through the asphalt.

Stan I agree with Greg, your yard tractor is worth than a 300 buck rental. Also thinking will get the job knocked out much faster.

Forgot to mention fun to drive......
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
Heck, a couple of those guys who hang around Home Depot, with picks and shovels, would make it even easier.

JMHO!
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
(06-26-2016, 10:34 AM)wawoodman Wrote: Heck, a couple of those guys who hang around Home Depot, with picks and shovels, would make it even easier.

JMHO!

Maybe in times gone by, today you might be taking your life and or property in your hands.
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by: