A new twist on AR15 maintenance
Hi all,

With the popularity of the AR platform these days, I came up with an idea (quite by accident) for a bore-guide for cleaning the barrels of my rifles.

My original idea was to modify a standard AR upper receiver block just so that it could be used to hold a dedicated .22LR upper assembly in a vice while I was building it. Because the .22LR barrel sits farther back in the upper receiver it prevents the installation of the standard receiver block. So I milled out the necessary sections of material from the Delrin block to clear the breech end of the barrel.

[Image: DPMS_block.jpg]

As I was doing that my mind turned to designing and making a separate bore-guide for cleaning the barrel as well. After checking the fit of the receiver block, and staring at it for a few minutes - it hit me. Drill a hole through it dummy! Slaphead

With the block in place, and a guide hole drilled though it end to end - it makes a perfect accessory for holding an upper receiver for maintenance and now, for guiding a cleaning rod though the bore from the breach for cleaning the barrel. All in one tool.

[Image: Through_hole.jpg]

Hopefully someone else will find it as useful as I do. Blush
For what it's worth... Smiley-eatdrink004

[Image: Rimfire_upper.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
Hi Willie Smiley-signs107

You lads have all the best toys Drool ,,,,,,,,, Me being a bit thick and noing nothing about guns Slaphead ,can you explain why you need a guide for cleaning the weapon ? ,,,,,,,,,,, Blush

Rob
Thanks given by:
Hi Rob,

In a nutshell.... improper cleaning has worn out more gun barrels than shooting them ever has. Pushing a thin metal cleaning rod through the barrel by hand to scrub it clean tends to rub against the inside of the bore and wear it away. Think of it as an undersized piston in an engine cylinder, and what would happen to the cylinder bore over time.

The problem is exaggerated at the ends of the barrel where the cleaning rod enters and exits the tube and it gets off center of the bore and rubs hard on the sides. Those are the most critical areas of a barrel for it to shoot accurately.

Using a guide helps to keep the cleaning rod centered - thus preventing damage to those critical areas and preserving the accuracy of the weapon.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks Willie

Learned something new ,, it never crossed my mined that you could damage a weapon by incorrect cleaning .

I will apologise in advance if i come out with what sound like very basic/dumb questions ,over here the closest i am likely to get to a gun is on TV .

I do finned the techniques used in gunsmithing very interesting .

Rob
Thanks given by:
I like it! Something like that would have come in real handy when I was cleaning the Barrett .50 the other night.

I may have to "borrow" Big Grin that idea and make a set for my ARs as well as one for the .50.

Thanks much,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by: Highpower
Excellent idea Willie. It should save a lot of wear and tear on the bore.

When can we expect to see one in the Brownell's catalog? Chin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2012, 01:35 AM)RobWilson Wrote: Thanks Willie

Learned something new ,, it never crossed my mined that you could damage a weapon by incorrect cleaning .

I will apologise in advance if i come out with what sound like very basic/dumb questions ,over here the closest i am likely to get to a gun is on TV .

I do finned the techniques used in gunsmithing very interesting .

Rob

You need to get out more Rob. I happen to know that air gunning is very popular on your side of the pond. Big Grin

Mind you I'm not talking about Daisy or Red Ryder rifles. There are folks in the UK that are excellent machinists (much like yourself) and build some incredibly serious, precision adult air guns. I'm quite sure you would get "hooked" yourself after trying it. Smile

Never apologize for asking questions. I welcome them ALL. I would much rather answer questions (if I can) all day long, than lose one person interested in any given subject - but were afraid to ask.

Never stop learning boy's and girl's..... Cool
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2012, 06:34 AM)TomG Wrote: When can we expect to see one in the Brownell's catalog? Chin

Tom

Tom,

I fully expected DPMS to have already "invented" the idea by now, and have them on the shelves! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2012, 09:47 AM)Highpower Wrote: You need to get out more Rob. I happen to know that air gunning is very popular on your side of the pond. Big Grin

Very true Willie ,,,,,,,,,, but we are limited to 12ft/lb ,,,, just not the same Slaphead ,,,,,,,, i don't think we can even own replica guns over here now BashBash

I bought a book ,,,way back about 18 years ago "Bob Browenell's Gunsmith Kinks " interesting book , one day i fancy having ago at slow rust bluing, allot of other good info within to . Not sure when i will use the section on bear hunting ,, not to may of those around these parts LOL

Rob
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2012, 10:23 AM)RobWilson Wrote: Very true Willie ,,,,,,,,,, but we are limited to 12ft/lb ,,,, just not the same Slaphead ,,,,,,,,

Rob

I understand Rob. The burdens we have to bear sometimes. Bash

I still enjoy shooting my air guns at times though. It's peaceful and still fun to do. I've got a Beeman RX-1 that you could adjust down to that level. (Those clever Germans...) Thumbsup

Although the authorities probably wouldn't buy the idea. Happyno
Willie
Thanks given by: