Welding Positioner
This is a welding positioner I built recently.  Well actually completed recently.  I used a treadmill motor run through a 100:1 speed reduction gearbox to turn the table.  It will turn as slow as 1/4 turn per minute.  Of course the Redneck plastic tool box was used for the electronics.

I machined the spindle with the 5mm pitch thread to allow me to screw on the flat table or a three jaw chuck.  On the flat table I machined circular shallow groves to help align the part to center.

There is a handle on the back side of the table that I just have to lift and swing down the support leg to put in several locations to allow for horizontal welding.

The arm rest slips into the 50x50mm uprights to allow for me to use either hand for welding which I do quite often.

The table rotation direction is reversible also.

It looks quite funky because I sprayed with with phosphoric acid in preparation for painting which obviously isn't done yet.

[Image: positioner1_zpsqmijbu5r.jpg]
[Image: positioner2_zpsehgovn95.jpg]
[Image: positioner3_zpsqrrluuth.jpg]
[Image: positioner4_zpsc6r3sd8w.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Very nice.

Did you make the bender in the background? If so, can I see some pis please?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(08-24-2016, 06:50 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Very nice.  

Did you make the bender in the background?  If so, can I see some pis please?

You are not allowed to ask for pictures of my bender until you OH and Ahhh some more over my table. Bash
Thanks given by:
But you haven't painted it yet Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I like it BF. I have a simple one, made out of a gear reducer and gear motor from a blue print machine. Does the sprung ground strap carry the current well, ingenious idea. Been wondering how to make a slip ring for my next generation one. Would like to add a carriage for the mig gun with a power feed to build up shafts.
Now get that thing painted so I can carry on with mine !!!
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(08-24-2016, 09:01 AM)f350ca Wrote: I like it BF. I have a simple one, made out of a gear reducer and gear motor from a blue print machine. Does the sprung ground strap carry the current well, ingenious idea. Been wondering how to make a slip ring for my next generation one. Would like to add a carriage for the mig gun with a power feed to build up shafts.
Now get that thing painted so I can carry on with mine !!!

I guess I deserve that little rub after giving you so much grief about your processor!

The ground strap works perfect. Mind you I only TIG to 220amps. I also use it with my MIG for exactly what you said, shaft build ups. Works a treat.

One thing I might change is the mounting of the three jaw chuck. Maybe I will offset it so I will have a through hole. Until now it hasn't been a problem for me but one never knows on a farm what might need doing.
Thanks given by:
Worthy Worthy  OOO    AAAH  Since I am from Kentucky, I think that's A fine looking control panel.
And I can't see how paint will make it work any better. Smiley-signs107
But I must Say that sure is A funny looking pipe bender Chin
Thanks given by:
(08-25-2016, 11:55 PM)crosslide Wrote: Worthy Worthy  OOO    AAAH  Since I am from Kentucky, I think that's A fine looking control panel.

That sir is a fine looking pipe bender! You are from Kentucky so what would you know about fine looking.

What do you have with 34 Kentuckians sitting in the front pew of a church?

One full set of teeth!!!!! Rotfl
Thanks given by:
(08-26-2016, 05:59 AM)Black Forest Wrote:
(08-25-2016, 11:55 PM)crosslide Wrote: Worthy Worthy  OOO    AAAH  Since I am from Kentucky, I think that's A fine looking control panel.

That sir is a fine looking pipe bender!  You are from Kentucky so what would you know about fine looking.    

What do you have with 34 Kentuckians sitting in the front pew of a church?

One full set of teeth!!!!! Rotfl

No sir it's takes 35 cause sometimes one won't have any. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
All joking aside   that's a good looking welding positioner, BF and the only problem I can see you might have, is the plastic might crack in real cold weather.    And I wasn't going to say anything out of respect to the old country and my great love for German beer.  But the main reason it takes 35 instead of 34 there is always one German in that pew. Drinks
Thanks given by: