One of my projects
(10-18-2016, 03:18 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote: How funny you should say that.  I'm just beginning a "cargo" trailer for my motorcycle, a VStrom 1000, to haul camping gear and a cooler.  I'm going to make it look like a Canned Ham vintage camping trailer, only about 1/8th scale.  Should be a lot of fun, both to build and to use. 

How 'bout going full sized?  With the Vdub engine you should have plenty of power to pull it and you'd also have nice dry sleeping quarters instead of a sleeping bag on wet ground.
Thanks given by:
(10-18-2016, 03:18 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote:
(10-17-2016, 08:34 PM)Clifford B. Wrote: I have even had a wild ass idea of making it a dually rear end and
building mini fifth wheel to haul behind it.

How funny you should say that.  I'm just beginning a "cargo" trailer for my motorcycle, a VStrom 1000, to haul camping gear and a cooler.  I'm going to make it look like a Canned Ham vintage camping trailer, only about 1/8th scale.  Should be a lot of fun, both to build and to use.  

The only thing ruining the scale appearance is the wheels - I believe many of the full-size camp trailers used 13~14" wheels, and a 12" wheel on the scale model looks all wrong.  

I could get 8" wheels, but the speed rating is only 65mph, although, I would only be loading it a tiny fraction of their load rating.

I hear you on proportion issues, But tearing it down and rearranging is half
the fun right  !! ??
Thanks given by:
Not trying to hijack the OP's thread... I'll be building the scale canned ham trailer mostly from scratch. I'll buy a $250 trailer from Northern Industrial which yields all the parts and materials for the chassis (wheels, hubs, axle, lights), and I'll cut them down to the correct size for my project, and possibly go to 8" wheels.

I agree with the idea of a small actual camp trailer for the trike! If you go with a 5th wheel, you might discover that it likes to wheelie since the front is so light. You might consider getting the hitch below the rear axle height.
Thanks given by:
(10-19-2016, 03:13 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote: Not trying to hijack the OP's thread... I'll be building the scale canned ham trailer mostly from scratch.  I'll buy a $250 trailer from Northern Industrial which yields all the parts and materials for the chassis (wheels, hubs, axle, lights), and I'll cut them down to the correct size for my project, and possibly go to 8" wheels.

I agree with the idea of a small actual camp trailer for the trike!  If you go with a 5th wheel, you might discover that it likes to wheelie since the front is so light.  You might consider getting the hitch below the rear axle height.

I have seen a couple of trailers like your speaking of either on the brothers of the third wheel forum,
or on one of the other sites I peruse, they are a pretty cool setup.... Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
Ok, all this talk about "canned ham", are any of you going to make and weld a canned ham key to your canned ham trailers?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Brilliant, Vinnie! I'll have to do that.

Do they even sell canned ham anymore? I can't recall seeing it in stores for a zillion years.
Thanks given by:
Y'know, I don't recall seeing it either. The last canned meat product I've seen in a metal can was SPAM. Don't know if that's still in metal or if they switched to plastic, but that can's the wrong shape anyway.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
you can still get the canned ham in oz .if memory serves correct we had it at Christmas as we couldn't afford the real thing .that spam was shite but filled a hole on many long rides as a young fella in the 70s lol seen a bike trailer yrs ago that was an old fridge also seen one that was made to look like a coke vending machine
Thanks given by:
(10-20-2016, 04:53 PM)Vinny Wrote: Y'know, I don't recall seeing it either.  The last canned meat product I've seen in a metal can was SPAM.  Don't know if that's still in metal or if they switched to plastic, but that can's the wrong shape anyway.

Yep still in metal cans just like it was during WWII.  Super popular all across the Pacific. Put cloves in it, sprinkle on ginger and cinnamon and surround it with pineapple. Bake until its warm. Food fit for a king.

I like to slice it and pan fry it until its just turning brown.  The only thing better in my book is a bratwurst.  A cold brew makes it even better.   Smiley-eatdrink004
Thanks given by:
I bought a case of SPAM for our "Emergency Ration" kit (aka Shake Box)... I'm embarrassed to say that literally none of it found it's way into the kit, all of it being pan-fried with eggs over easy for breakfast.

[Image: Spam.gif]
Thanks given by: