Idea --- Surface Grinder
Home Shop Machinist in 2006 ran a build of a Surface Grinder for the home shop. Most like me thought it was too small. I and another member of Hobby Machinist are looking to re-engineer this project into something larger and have home shop capabilities. How much interest is there on this  Forum for such a project? We are committed to this project already and will with your consent post it here also.

"Billy G"
Thanks given by:
(01-30-2017, 08:45 AM)Bill Gruby Wrote: Home Shop Machinist in 2006 ran a build of a Surface Grinder for the home shop. Most like me thought it was too small. I and another member of Hobby Machinist are looking to re-engineer this project into something larger and have home shop capabilities. How much interest is there on this  Forum for such a project? We are committed to this project already and will with your consent post it here also.

"Billy G"

I'd be interested in the build. What size will the final machine be?
Thanks given by:
By size I am assuming you mean its footprint, etc.

Base is 11" X20"
Height is 24" ( without stand)
Table is 6" X 24"
Mag Chuck is 4" X 10"
Motor 1 1/2 HP AC ( may change to DC)
Wheel dia. 8"
Height adj. max 7"

"Billy G"
Thanks given by:
I'll be interested in watching this project, already have one but this will be interesting to watch.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Personally, I would be interested in the smaller version. Shop space is at a premium, and large machines aren't necessary for me.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(01-30-2017, 12:41 PM)rleete Wrote: Personally, I would be interested in the smaller version. Shop space is at a premium, and large machines aren't necessary for me.

Smaller is easy, just scale ours down. LOL The original was 15" high and 14" deep. Table was mush smaller and only a 1/2 HP motor with 6" wheels.

"Billy G"
Thanks given by:
I know of the one that was in Home Shop Machinist because I kept those issues with the intent of possibly building it at some time. I'm definitely interested in your project.  Drool

I just checked and I had drawn up the small one in my CAD program back in September of 2008. I still have the CAD file.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed, this time we have a CAD man on board. He lives 6 miles from me. We were going to build that one but felt it was too lite duty for even the home shop. So far we have the spindle and the wheel hub on paper. The hub is a balanced unit. Wheel changes are the same as the big boys toys.

May/June 2006 July/Augest 2006 September/October 2006 are the issues of HSM that the project appeared in.

"Billy G"
Thanks given by:
(01-30-2017, 05:27 PM)EdK Wrote: I know of the one that was in Home Shop Machinist because I kept those issues with the intent of possibly building it at some time. I'm definitely interested in your project.  Drool

I just checked and I had drawn up the small one in my CAD program back in September of 2008. I still have the CAD file.

Ed

Care to post a pic or two?
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(01-30-2017, 08:07 PM)rleete Wrote: Care to post a pic or two?

Of what? I haven't built one yet.

Ed
Thanks given by: