Todays Project - What did you do today?
Is this to counter radio theft, is that the market target?
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
That, and the fact that it occupies a lot less space in the cockpit. It gives you more options as to where you can mount the face plate (control head). On top of the dashboard for example where you wouldn't want the bulk of the entire radio. It's a standard feature of some of the newer radios out there, so I'm assuming Vinny's product allows owners of non-removable face plate radios to convert their own vs. having to buy another new radio. 6799

Back in the day they sold car stereos with removable face plates to try to reduce radio thefts from vehicles. The idea was that you took off the face plate and then carried it into the house/store/work/wherever with you. That was too much of a hassle for most people and they just threw the face plate in the glove box instead out of sight. The thieves figured that out pretty quickly so it didn't do much to dissuade them from breaking into your car anyway.
Willie
Thanks given by: arvidj
Willie,

Thank. Now the photo makes sense. It is the complete remote display unit sitting on top of the complete radio unit. I thought it was a picture of a complete radio unit with display sitting on top of another device that was the same size as the radio unit that 'did something' but I didn't know what. I could not distinguish exactly how deep the top 'what ever it is' was.

Now I see ... literally.
Thanks given by:
That is one of the reasons I chose a Hitachi VFD for my lathe. The control panel separates from the VFD body so you can operate it remotely. I put the VFD in the back and the control up front.

As Vinny pointed out though if the mic doesn't plug into the face plate of the radio, you need a second connection to the radio body to plug in the microphone.
Willie
Thanks given by:
I finally finished up the interior on my Rambler. The project was starting to drag a bit because as usual, I bit off way more than I can chew. The rear seats and the front bench weren't too bad, but the front seat backs were a genuine pain in the ass. It's a good thing I saved them for last because I never would have had the skills to do them first, without the others for practice. The hardest part was doing the colored French seams because the seat covers are so deep that it's really hard to get access to them. Also keeping the basting tape in place on the back of them proved near impossible in those hard to reach areas. The hardboard seat backs with two layers of vinyl and foam were also quite a challenge to top stitch. There were a lot of missed stitches and broken threads that I had to go back and repair by hand. I suspect that maybe the thread I was using was too light for such a difficult material to sew. All in all, I learned a heck of a lot and wouldn't hesitate to do it again, just maybe a slightly simpler design. Big Grin

Tom

[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(04-29-2018, 10:26 AM)Highpower Wrote: That, and the fact that it occupies a lot less space in the cockpit. It gives you more options as to where you can mount the face plate (control head). On top of the dashboard for example where you wouldn't want the bulk of the entire radio. It's a standard feature of some of the newer radios out there, so I'm assuming Vinny's product allows owners of non-removable face plate radios to convert their own vs. having to buy another new radio.   6799

Back in the day they sold car stereos with removable face plates to try to reduce radio thefts from vehicles. The idea was that you took off the face plate and then carried it into the house/store/work/wherever with you. That was too much of a hassle for most people and they just threw the face plate in the glove box instead out of sight. The thieves figured that out pretty quickly so it didn't do much to dissuade them from breaking into your car anyway.

This only works with the Yaesu FT-100. The radio has the removable faceplate and Yaesu used to make a separation kit for it. Unfortunately they stopped making it - it was a bit expensive anyway. Besides anti-theft it allows you to put the radio closer to the antenna. The newer ones use CAT-5 cables to connect the two, this radio didn't.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(04-29-2018, 08:20 PM)TomG Wrote: All in all, I learned a heck of a lot and wouldn't hesitate to do it again, just maybe a slightly simpler design. Big Grin

Tom

Incredible work Tom. I always hated replacing factory pre-made seat covers, much less having to cut them out and stitch them together first! Yikes

Then to turn around and ask for more? I'm beginning to think your cheese is starting to slip off your cracker.. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(04-30-2018, 12:49 AM)Vinny Wrote: This only works with the Yaesu FT-100.  The radio has the removable faceplate and Yaesu used to make a separation kit for it.  Unfortunately they stopped making it - it was a bit expensive anyway.  Besides anti-theft it allows you to put the radio closer to the antenna.  The newer ones use CAT-5 cables to connect the two, this radio didn't.

Well that stinks that they don't make that kit anymore. Still you will be ahead by having the radio in the trunk out of sight. Stash the face plate and there is nothing for the crooks to see really.

We found out recently that the phone company finally got fiber optic to our area so we switched our service over last week. My daughter talked me into replacing our old CAT-5 cable in the house with CAT-7 even though we won't get full use out of it now, at least it will already be there if/when we can make full use of it later. So I complied and got her and the wife's computers wired up. Mine will be the longest run and the biggest pain in the neck to do, so I'm still on CAT-5 for now.

The girls went from our previous whopping 5 Mbps to 950 Mbps! Jawdrop

Me - I'm plugging along at 94 Mbps on the CAT-5... Bash
Willie
Thanks given by:
Nice job on the interior Tom.
Thanks given by:
(04-30-2018, 02:06 AM)Highpower Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 08:20 PM)TomG Wrote: All in all, I learned a heck of a lot and wouldn't hesitate to do it again, just maybe a slightly simpler design. Big Grin

Tom
Incredible work Tom. I always hated replacing factory pre-made seat covers, much less having to cut them out and stitch them together first!   Yikes

Then to turn around and ask for more? I'm beginning to think your cheese is starting to slip off your cracker..   Big Grin

Thanks Willie.

My cheese still sticks to my cracker just fine. I'm just trying out different flavors. Big Grin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: