CZ455
Hello all - I've been away for a while.

I bought a brand new CZ455 in .22LR, and picked it up from my FFL two nights ago. Thumbsup

I'd been reading up on the platform, and it seems to be quite well regarded, yet not expensive. I mostly shoot at 100 yards, and want to work towards 1 MOA groups or better.

There is a very common trigger mod, called the YoDave trigger kit.  It consists of a lighter spring, and a handful of bushings which are used to eliminate creep.

One common sentiment here is "why spend $20 on the kit, when I can spend 3 enjoyable hours in the shop making parts?"  And that's exactly what I did.

The result was pretty awesome - it's now the best trigger I've ever felt, although, I think the pull could be lighter, the creep has definitely been eliminated.

As a plus, this was the smallest part I've ever made -- and I know there are some model makers here who will scoff because they make 2-56 screws from scratch. It's 3.10mm OD, 2.5mm ID, and 14mm OAL. The best part was getting all zeros on the digital caliper. Oh, and it's stainless.

[Image: p3248805481-5.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd like to see what you do with the bushing.
Thanks given by:
The CZ 455 trigger has 2 pins: one is a pivot, and one acts as a force-transmission bar to the sear.

Any gap between the sear and the second, force-transmitting pin becomes apparent as trigger creep.

The bushing basically takes up space between the pin and sear.

In the photo, the solid pin is the pivot, and the split-pin is the sear pin.

[Image: yodave29+%25281%2529.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It will be interesting to see how it shoots. I have one of the Ruger 1022 bull barrel target rifles and I'm not real happy with its performance. It certainly won't shoot 1 MOA.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(01-23-2019, 09:21 PM)TomG Wrote: It will be interesting to see how it shoots. I have one of the Ruger 1022 bull barrel target rifles and I'm not real happy with its performance.

Tom

I feel the same way about my 77/22.

Do you have a factory barrel on your 10/22 Tom?
Willie
Thanks given by:
It is a factory barrel, Willie.

I can't imagine why it doesn't shoot more consistently than it does. The thing weighs a ton.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(01-24-2019, 10:11 AM)TomG Wrote: It is a factory barrel, Willie.

I can't imagine why it doesn't shoot more consistently than it does. The thing weighs a ton.

Tom

With all the work I had to put into mine when I put it together, it doesn't surprise me. I think (factory) 10/22's are the mini-lathe of rim-fire rifles. Makes a good jumping off point, but there is a lot of tweaking to be done to really make them shine. Lots of places for unwanted movement to occur between parts.

Or maybe you just haven't found it's favorite flavor of ammo yet...
Willie
Thanks given by:
Range report... I shoot outdoors @ 100 yards.

Shooting from a bipod, with random hollowpoint ammo - much of it Winchester white box, the best 5-shot group I could get was about 1.75".

Regarding the trigger, that was with the bushing, but no light spring and the trigger pull is still pretty heavy.

Apparently, ammo is super critical with rimfire, as is the chamber. I bought a couple boxes of "premium" but not match grade ammo, and I'm interested to see how that works out.

Both the CZ and the 10-22 are apparently excuses to buy a bunch of aftermarket stuff. :)
Thanks given by:
(01-27-2019, 11:25 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote: Both the CZ and the 10-22 are apparently excuses to buy a bunch of aftermarket stuff.  :)

Just like machine tools eh?

1.75" groups @ 100 yds. outdoors with a .22LR is pretty respectable in my book for an out of the box rifle.
The CZ's have been a hot item over at rimfire central for quite awhile now. I've seen quite a few CZ boxes being carried out across the parking lot at the local Cabella's when they had them on sale too.

But life isn't fair sometimes. I have a buddy that has an old Remington 513-T .22 that will shoot bug holes all day long with the cheapest bulk .22LR you can find. My .22's don't seem to be happy being fed anything but the most expensive rimfire ammo out there.   Sad

Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-28-2019, 11:13 PM)Highpower Wrote: Just like machine tools eh?

Ha, yes. I just made an order from SHARS for an inserted cutoff tool & holder, as well as some adjustable parallels. The good news is that most of the tooling or accessories I want to buy are under $100 or over $1000, so not much movement on the latter, and not much guilt on the former. :)

When I had my 40X, I never shot anything but cheap bulk ammo and it seemed to do pretty well @ 50 feet.

Lapua Midas... how appropriately named.

I've joined Rimfire Central - the CZ forum is quite active, a good indicator of the popularity of CZs.

I haven't been to the range in 3 weeks.... been busy with work, life, etc. Not to mention the windy, rainy, "cold" weather (yeah, I know, it's not even below freezing. I've become California Soft. It's a thing.)

Of course, having idle hands is a dangerous thing, I've cut the breech & setscrew lugs on the barrel conical so I can test different orientations of the barrel. This is how Lilja delivers some of its match barrels. At the same time, I set the barrel back a smidge to get headspacing at .043.

I made a pair of go/nogo headspace gauges. Nailing down the rim thickness was the big challenge - I can commonly achieve .001" on diameters, but axial dimensions aren't as easy.

I also whipped up a new trigger spring, brings the trigger pull down to a repeatable 1lb, 3oz. It passed the "thump the action with a rubber mallet" test, but it seems mighty light to me. I suppose it'll take a bit of getting used to.

Pinged my shooting buddy and hopefully the weather will be settled down a bit tomorrow.
Thanks given by: