Carport mini shop
Better keep that truck.  All the dealers want to sell are 4 door sedans missing the trunk lid and a 4 ft "bed".  Took me a year to find a 2 door pick up with a 8 ft bed.  Rubber mats too. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I still have, and plan to keep, my 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 club cab Diesel with 8' box. It's pretty rusty but runs good. This summer I'll be tackling the rust on both the truck and the Durango.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
You may want to consider looking in Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico for a worn out/high mileage Ram of the same design and swap out the cab & bed.  Get it Zebarted this time.  Had a neighbor in Ohio who had a 10 + year old Chevy full size van that was rust free.  Had it undercoated by Zebart and took it in each year to be touched up as necessary.
Thanks given by:
Well, almost everything is complete.  The fence installer finished his work on the wrought iron gates last Friday.  They turned out great.  Each gate is about 8'-6".  The smaller gate on the right side is 6'-0" wide for the riding lawnmower.  The last things to be finished up are the knee braces, the gable end and replace two 19' long base rails on each side that had unacceptable welds.  Overall I'm very happy with how this all came together.

The wife and I are noodling around ideas for which benches, tool boxes and shelves will go into the storage unit.  The plan also includes two 4'x8' sheets of pegboard to organize all the items that can be hung from hooks.  My lathe and mill get to stay in the garage!  That will make powering them up much easier and protect them from moisture much better.

We're expecting rain every day this week and the torsion spring on the big garage door broke last week.  The new springs should be here today.  Long story short it will be at least another week before the carport storage unit is organized.  More pics to follow as we make progress.

JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
Looks like it's always been there. Thumbsup

Be careful with that spring!

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(02-18-2019, 04:29 PM)TomG Wrote: Looks like it's always been there. Thumbsup

Be careful with that spring!

Tom

I think it turned out pretty good and I will definitely be cautious with the torsion spring.  I am going to have all the proper tools and PPE for sure.

JScott
Thanks given by:
Okay, final finished pictures.  The installers came with the remaining pieces last Friday and put the finishing touches on the carport.  They added knee braces, the gable end and replaced the two 19 foot base rails on each side that had terrible welds.  All went well and the structure is incredibly stiff.  With the 10" anchor bolts, tubular construction for the structural members, full length 36 foot metal roofing and the braces it doesn't even wiggle when I try to shake it.  I really love having my old truck under cover.  We had a heavy rain night before last and no water in the storage area or on the pad.

The fence and gates turned out well.  I think it adds a nice touch and my wife loves it.

Smiley-eatdrink004

All complete with the fence and gates installed.

This pic shows the gable and braces completed and installed.

Thanks given by:
Very nice. Smiley-eatdrink004
Thanks given by:
Excellent. It'll be nice to have a sheltered open air space to work on the truck. Thumbsup

Those knee braces make a huge difference. Mine has over 100 and they really stiffened up the structure.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Looks excellent and as Tom says it will be an extremely handy space for work.

They say that we are two nations divided by a common language - over here if something is 'stiffed up' it's been badly broken or f****d up.

We'd say stiffened or braced !
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by: