Hot dip
I ordered 10 lbs from McMaster-Carr as their price was way below any other supplier. Their web site indicates one pound will cover 3 sq ft at a thickness of .0625 inches.  That works out to 27 cubic inches. So tape measure in hand I calculated my deep fryer would hold 7.4 lbs.  I figure 10 lbs should leave some for my estate sale. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I had a patient stuck in machinery at a factory making garbage bags a few years ago. Was kind of a funny job as my colleagues didn't know I had mechanical skills as well as medical ones, I had him out of the dismantled machine before rescue turned up  Big Grin ....but I digress.....my point was going to be that the machines were being fed from vats of granulated plastic. I wonder if you turned up at such a factory with a garbage bag and a six pack of beer if you'd come away with a lifetime supply of the stuff?
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Crocell (at least) is far more than just a waxy plastic coating - it carries a fair amount of an oily substance.

I have bags of plastic injection moulding pellets as I used to make my own 'machinable wax' - paraffin wax with HDPE melted into it - and that sets up pretty hard without the oily nature of Crocell.
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
(02-10-2021, 11:46 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: I ordered 10 lbs from McMaster-Carr as their price was way below any other supplier. Their web site indicates one pound will cover 3 sq ft at a thickness of .0625 inches.  That works out to 27 cubic inches. So tape measure in hand I calculated my deep fryer would hold 7.4 lbs.  I figure 10 lbs should leave some for my estate sale. Big Grin

So.... how's that working out for you?
Willie
Thanks given by:
(02-22-2021, 12:08 AM)Highpower Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 11:46 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: I ordered 10 lbs from McMaster-Carr as their price was way below any other supplier. Their web site indicates one pound will cover 3 sq ft at a thickness of .0625 inches.  That works out to 27 cubic inches. So tape measure in hand I calculated my deep fryer would hold 7.4 lbs.  I figure 10 lbs should leave some for my estate sale. Big Grin

So.... how's that working out for you?

I've loaded the fryer with hot dip and it melted just fine.  Been otherwise occupied so I'll plug it in and give it a go today.
Thanks given by:
OK, no hurry. I was just curious that's all. Inquiring minds you know... Big Grin

Thanks Stan.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(02-22-2021, 01:20 PM)Highpower Wrote: OK, no hurry. I was just curious that's all. Inquiring minds you know...  Big Grin

Thanks Stan.

Well it's hot.  Just need to take a few minutes and use it.
Thanks given by:
Worked great.
Thanks given by:
(02-22-2021, 07:13 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Worked great.

Did you get the water based or the solvent based wax?
Willie
Thanks given by:
solvent based
Thanks given by: