Harbor Freight 7x12 Mini-Lathe
They sure cheaped out on the half nuts. I only got half a half nut. That aluminum steel bracket to the right of the half-half nut supports the top side of the lead screw when the half-half nut is engaged. That's certainly not going to last very long getting chewed up by the lead screw.  17428
You can see the slot is there in the disk for adding the missing half-half nut. I'll add that to my LittleMachineShop order. Not in stock at the moment.  Sadno

Ed

EDIT: the bracket is steel, not aluminum. Blush

Thanks given by:
(05-20-2021, 03:20 PM)EdK Wrote: They sure cheaped out on the half nuts. I only got half a half nut.

Jawdrop

Unbelievable.
Willie
Thanks given by:
I was surprised to find out the protractor was made from steel and not plastic like I've heard they were. Not that it's all that useful except for non critical angles.

Ed

Thanks given by:
I seem to recall something about that protractor as being useless. Setting it for doing threads gave you the wrong angle. Been too long to remember the details. My mini hasn't seen power in a few years.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
My 12x36 lathe is the same way. The imports have the 'zero' along the Z axis for the compound instead of the X axis. I had to put a punch mark in my cross slide 90° off to the left to serve as my zero mark to get it right. My mini hasn't seen power for quite awhile either. By the way... did you know a large Hibachi grill cover makes an excellent dust protector for a 7x10 mini lathe?  Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
(05-25-2021, 02:17 PM)Vinny Wrote: I seem to recall something about that protractor as being useless.   Setting it for doing threads gave you the wrong angle.  Been too long to remember the details.  My mini hasn't seen power in a few years.

Yea, I definitely wouldn't use it to set angles for threading or semi-critical angles. I probably won't even put it back on when I reassemble the lathe. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-25-2021, 06:51 PM)Highpower Wrote: My 12x36 lathe is the same way. The imports have the 'zero' along the Z axis for the compound instead of the Y axis. I had to put a punch mark in my cross slide 90° off to the left to serve as my zero mark to get it right. My mini hasn't seen power for quite awhile either. By the way... did you know a large Hibachi grill cover makes an excellent dust protector for a 7x10 mini lathe?  Rotfl

Mine hasn't ever seen power. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Metalworking forum and you guys don't even turn your lathes on!
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(05-26-2021, 07:18 AM)rleete Wrote: Metalworking forum and you guys don't even turn your lathes on!

Working on it. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-26-2021, 07:18 AM)rleete Wrote: Metalworking forum and you guys don't even turn your lathes on!

What? 17428 You've never heard of a 'second operation' lathe before? We just strive to get everything done in a single operation that's all... smiley_laughing
Willie
Thanks given by: